Ch 12 - A Musical Interlude

Copyright to VedaPettigrew

Rosannah tried to satisfy her eyes with the sights of London instead of revelling in the sight of her husband as the coach made its way to La Maison de la Musique. Henry sat next to her and she had faced away as much as she could, looking out through the window instead of allowing herself to be weakened by his visage. He looked very handsome indeed, dressed in his finery and she could not look upon him without a pang of longing that she knew would go unsatisfied.

He had returned in time for the evening soiree and although she was grateful he had granted her request, all day she had been made to wonder if he would. It had made her slightly resentful, as had his general attitude towards her. His anger at her mistreatment was understandable, but she should not be made to suffer for it.

The oppressive mood that had begun to weigh her down when he left her alone in bed had continued through the day, with one notable highlight. Handing out the biscuits to the staff had been such fun. They had been so overcome that it could not help but lift her spirits as she passed each one out from the basket she carried.

Mrs Swift had escorted her around the house, requiring an extra push when Rosannah asked to go down below. "I could not take you there, Your Grace, it is not done."

"I wish to go," she had replied obstinately. When she reached the bottom floor, she saw that below stairs the servants were much more relaxed, though they jumped to attention quickly enough when she came upon them.

"Please do not strain yourself, I merely wished to bring you a biscuit to say a small thank you for your work," she repeated over and over again.

When she had finished they had all gathered in the servants' hall, sitting or standing stiffly as they waited for her return. Her visit had obviously put a stop to the casual way they had been behaving and she felt guilty. "I am sorry that you felt uncomfortable with me here. I will not come down uninvited again without prior notice."

Their faces all showed shock at being apologised to by their mistress and she could not but help adding mischievously, "But be sure, I would love to receive an invitation from you," and was rewarded by a stunned silence. "I would be honoured to accept," she supplemented for good measure.

"Very kind Your Grace," Jameson said with a red face, "but we could not issue you an invitation. This is your house, you may go where you wish."

"But it is also home to a lot of you as well, you are uncomfortable with my presence in your space and I do not want you to be concerned that I might pop in any moment. So I require an invitation."

Jameson looked positively pink, "My Grace..." he paused, unsure what to say, "It is not done."

"So I keep hearing, and yet I just seem to keep doing," she replied cheekily. A maid unsuccessfully tried to stifle a snigger, earning a severe look from both the butler and housekeeper. "I would like you feel you can approach me, I do not wish to be thought of as inaccessible. I know you respect the authority of Jameson and Mrs Swift and I would not usurp it, but you are all important to this house, to His Grace and myself, so I will not be cross if you should find a need to speak with me." They looked unsure how to react so she smiled warmly at them, deciding to leave them alone. "Enjoy your biscuits, Goodbye."

As they curtseyed and bowed she turned to go but twisted her head back to add, "Do not forget, I expect an invitation within a month." Once she reached the top step she could not help laughing silently at the outburst of shocked giggling and chattering.

The memory of the incident made her smile briefly and Henry's hand covered hers, "What amused your thoughts Rosannah?"

"Nothing really," she replied coolly, careful to keep her façade in place. She made no effort to move her hand but refused to respond to his touch. His fingers clasped hers, but she could not return the gesture. She would not even turn to look upon him. He sighed and removed his hand.