Ch 4 - Return to London

Copyright to VedaPettigrew

Rosannah took in the beautiful view outside the carriage, trying to lessen her melancholy at leaving Amblethorpe. When the brilliant sunshine and rolling hills did not achieve their purpose, she took to chastising herself.

It was not forever, they would be returning in just six short weeks. The season was almost over. The contrary side of her conscious, reminded her that six weeks was plenty of time to be upset by her mother, cut by her jealous fellow debutants, ridiculed for being a duchess who could not speak properly, and worst of all, she would in all likelihood, receive her first punishment from her husband.

She looked at him under her lashes. His gaze was focussed upon her, a frown showing his concern. How could anyone who felt as much love for her as she knew he did, perform such atrocious things? She could not imagine hurting him, not the way her mother and father hurt her. The very thought disgusted her.

And yet, he would.

She bit her lip and returned her gaze to the window. Was it better to avoid situations where he would see her inadequacies, so as to delay the inevitable? Or was it better to get it over and done with, so she at least knew what she was dealing with?

"Rosannah?" his commanding voice was gentle, "Why do you look so worried? You look as if you might be ill."

"I am just sad to be leaving," she said truthfully, but she trembled and refused to look at him.

"It is more than that, you forget I can read you like a book." He moved to her side and brushed a tendril of hair on her nape, "Will you not look at me?"

She turned, trying to hide her fear. He had told her she never needed to fear him, but maybe he didn't understand how terrifying punishments were.

However she wasn't being punished now, she thought determinedly. It wasn't fair he should be suffering her foolishness at this moment.

"Sorry Grayson," she held his hand on her knee, "I suppose I am also worried about returning to London a duchess. When I entered my season I never imagined I would capture the heart of a duke. The expectations feel more burdensome now, for I do so dread letting you down."

He chuckled, "You never could. I admit, though I was raised for it, I felt the same way when I inherited the title. It is more pressure, people watch you more closely, there is high expectation and society loves to revel in failures."

Her eyes widened as he spoke, these were not comforting words at all. He squeezed her hand, "But you will not be doing this alone. I am with you, I will help you." He lifted her hand and kissed her wrist, pulling down her glove to reveal a glimpse of bare skin to administer his affection.

She relaxed, it was true that he seemed happy with the way she conducted herself at his country estate. She had seemingly found favour in the eyes of the servants and he was pleased with her manner with them.

She could trust him to steer her right. She knew she could cling to his arm and he would protect her. Had he not promised to do so?

"I could even be so monstrous as to occasionally ban you from dancing, or refuse to allow you to leave my arm, should you require," he raised an amused eyebrow and she caught her breath. He would increase his dastardly reputation, just to give her more comfort?

She repeated the question out loud and he laughed, "Do not fret on my account. I believe I enjoy my reputation more than I should. It gives me such an enormous amount of power." He spoke smugly. "I would happily allow myself to be seen as a controlling and authoritarian horror of a husband for your sake. I believe I would even like it," he smirked.