16

Lexi's POV:

I had the longest and most stressful week at school. Turned in four essays, created two PowerPoint presentations, and had a unit test.

Graduation is so close I can almost taste it. Just a few more weeks!

I walk into the house and hear laughing and shuffling in the kitchen area. I enter the room and see Mike kissing my mother playfully.

"Ew." I roll my eyes, heading for the fridge.

My mom snaps her eyes up and gasps lightly, "oh! You're home." She says, shoving her husband off.

"I'm home." I say and help myself to a drink. "Where are you going this time?" I ask, noticing the bags packed up by the door.

"Actually, Mike planned a little trip for the three of us. Last minute, but it'll be fun." My mother informs me.

I never get invited to these things and I actually prefer it that way.

"To where?" I ask, not rejecting the offer yet.

"Mountains. Go pack! We can leave when you're ready." She smiles, Mike hanging around her waist.

"I don't know if I-" I stop myself when I catch my mom's glare. I can hear it now "don't be rude."

Instead, I nod my head and head up to my room to pack a bag for a trip I don't want to go on.

As I throw my shirts into a duffle bag, I see Evan through the window of her bedroom.

She's talking and using lots of seemingly angry hand gestures, so I'm assuming she's back at it with Scott.

I only talked to her once this week, which kinda sucks. I'm trying to create some distance before I get too comfortable and blow our cover entirely.

I watch from my room, eventually seeing her emotions get the best of her. Tears roll down her face and Scott swoops in, cradling her and kissing her head as she falls apart in his arms.

It's not my place to feel this way, but I hate seeing him do that to her. He is the reason she's falling apart, so I can't quite understand why she's allowing herself to find any sort of comfort or consolation in the arms of the same man who broke her to begin with.

Evan looks up from the embrace and her eyes connect with mine.

Oops, sorry for spying?

She shakes her head slowly and wipes her cheeks with her fingers.

"Are you almost ready?" My mom's voice pulls my attention away from the window, making me jump.

"Yeah, just finishing." I huff, tossing the last of my clothes in and zipping the bag.

I toss the bag over my shoulder and storm hastily out of the bedroom and down the stairs.

"What's the matter?" My mom asks, concerned.

I let out another sigh, "nothing. I'm fine."

"You sure, honey?" She frowns.

"Yep. I just need some air. I'm gonna take a walk while you guys load up the car." I say and walk out before she can deny me that right.

I don't know why it gets to me so much. I know she is married. She isn't mine to keep, but seeing her with him... of all people. She deserves so much more than him.

As I walk out of the driveway and start down the shaded street, I hear quick steps growing louder behind me.

"Lexi!" I hear as I turn to make sure I'm not about to be kidnapped. I see Grace running towards me, Ava following close behind.