Chapter 17

Eleanor felt herself stop breathing and she was sure her face had paled excessively as the sight of Sir Daniel Hadleigh making merry continued to assault her

Eleanor felt herself stop breathing and she was sure her face had paled excessively as the sight of Sir Daniel Hadleigh making merry continued to assault her. The wretched man who had always irked her and been a nuisance before she was married, continued to do so, even after.

What was he doing in India? Had he followed her here? Her mind was a whirlwind of emotions and she stumbled

Eleanor heard Nathan mumble profanities under his breath - things no gentleman would say in the presence of a lady - and she knew he recognised him too.

She looked up at him, knowing panic was setting abode on her face, and his face shown with grim understanding. He quickly moved away from the table with Daniel, tugging Eleanor along with him.

They pushed past people - men and harlots alike - and Eleanor felt her skin crawl at the ghastly way men looked at her. But one look at a furious and powerful-looking Nathan, who held her hand firmly in his grip, and they immediately looked away, trying to find another woman.

Nathan pushed a door on the side open and they stumbled into a small room - evidently not meant for the literal sense of sleeping - before he locked it behind him. If Eleanor had not known any better, she would think he meant to have his way with her. She had no doubt that that was what everyone else thought when they went into the secluded room.

Eleanor watched as Nathan paced in front of the locked door, cursing colourfully under his breath.

'Nathan,' she called shakily, halting him in his tracks. He looked at her and she saw panic - sheer, astute panic - washed across the features of his handsome face.

'Sir Hadleigh is here,' he said, nervousness seeping into his words.

Eleanor nodded grimly. 'I did not know he was in India. Did you?'

Nathan shook his head and dropped his gaze to his feet. 'No, but this changes plans.'

Eleanor felt her legs shaking and she moved back and settled on the bed. 'What will we do? We cannot confront the men now. He will recognise us instantly!'

Nathan nodded and seemed to be deep in thought for a while before his face cleared and he looked back up at her. Eleanor was surprised to find a small smile on his face as he held his hand up. 'Stay here, I will be back soon,' was all he said before he made his way out of the room.

She continued to sit on the bed, shocked at his sudden change in demeanour. Had he figured out a way to talk to the men, still? She contemplated a barrage of reasons for his leaving for a few minutes before Nathan came back into the room, a broad grin on his face.

Eleanor jumped to her feet and regarded him. 'Well? What happened? Are we going back to the house?'

Nathan shook his head. 'I managed to keep him busy,' he said and gestured to the door. 'We can go now.'