⊶ Chapter Seven ⊷

Chapter 7 and 8 are kinda short on their own but would be too long combined so here's a double update! See ya in the next chapter~ 

⊶⊗⊷

Muttering profanities you scratched off the third trail name on your list. You hadn't actually ventured onto any of the trails, just poked around at the start of them. You would be able to tell if a car had been left there for days. But honestly, you weren't sure if the car would have been moved by now. It should've, shouldn't it? Not going to lie you weren't really up to date on what usually happened to somewhat abandoned cars after their owner died. Was 'owner' even the right word..?

Your feet hurt, you had managed to get the bus somewhat close to the trails. But you still had to walk more than you wanted too. You regretted not having lunch before coming out here. Well, truthfully this was all a somewhat split decision. Rummaging through your bag you pulled out a granola bar. It had been in your bag for like at least a week at this point but beggars can't be choosers and your stomach was legitimately calling out for food. 

Munching on your snack you continued to walk along the small path next to the road. Tall trees surrounded the road climbing high into the sky. The smell of pinewood overpowered the fumes left behind by the cars lazily passing through. The road and its stretching trees seemed to go on forever, luckily for you, the trails were fairly close to the town. You didn't think your feet would appreciate the journey if they were any further. 

It would be dark soon, you might have to come back tomorrow. But would you find time to do that? Looking at the sky above you it crossed your mind to just turn back you were coming up empty-handed. What would you even get out of this? Poking around in a dead man's car. 

You shouldn't have second thoughts... You had already given yourself a pep talk. You were too far into this now. You knew one of their names, they simply wouldn't let you live.

Knowing that man's name had essentially branded you for the slaughterhouse.

You may as well cause as much chaos as possible while you were still breathing. Sure they could probably break every single bone in your body, but you. You had a secret weapon.

You had a camera.

Looking at the foliage surrounding you, you caught sight of a brightly painted signpost. Another trail. Pushing aside the various branches you stumbled towards the trail. Did he park near it? Would it be right next to the road or further in...? Standing next to the trail sign you looked around your surroundings. You just needed a sign that he had been here. Shoving the wrapper of your granola bar in your pocket you kicked the long grass around.

Truthfully you didn't know where to start.

This was a first time thing for you.

You felt very much out of place.

Sighing you started walking along the side of the road hoping to pick up on something. Then you noticed something. The long grass that had been tickling you legs practically the whole way here was flattened. Obviously, someone had been here.

The trails commonly had worn down areas but usually, it was small orderly paths. The grass here looked trampled like it was more than just a dog walker or two that visited here. You couldn't help but smile to yourself, this could be it! Getting to work you started looking around, paying far more attention to every little thing. You didn't want to go along the trail just yet.

In the midst of the trampled grass, you found what looked like footprints sunken into the dried mud, it was raining that night, wasn't it? 

As you walked further away from the trail you found what looked like tire marks and some broken bushes. did he crash into the bushes, he must have been in a hurry. Taking out your camera you took a couple of photos of the area.