•9•

You tried not thinking about it, but that was a battle you were quick to lose.

You had hoped that the mysterious scar would fade over time like the dream had. Unfortunately for you, it did not. As the days wore on the scar stubbornly stayed on your wrist, and you wracked your brains trying to figure out where it came from. You couldn't just accept that it suddenly appeared on your wrist - there had to be some sort of explanation.

You remembered a time when you were younger and were playing with a cat. It was the neighbours cat out and about in your lawn. You had gone up to it and played with it, using a long stalk of grass to entice the cat to jump around. It was a friendly, playful thing, a four year old female calico. When you were finished playing with her and went back inside, your mother had fussed over the red lines that had appeared on your hands and arms. Somehow, though you had not felt the cat's claws on you, she had left raised red welts on your skin.

Maybe the situation was similar? Unfortunately not. The cat was the reason for the welts, and you had no reason for the scar.

The Band-Aid you had put over it impulsively became a permanent fixture; you also ended up creating a plausible explanation in case someone were to ask about it. It was a pretty big Band-Aid, and was sure to attract attention from outside sources (Read: your friend Cathy).

"I was climbing a tree and got cut by a fragment of a branch while climbing down. It was bleeding pretty badly - my hiking shirt got completely ruined!"

It was no big deal, just a cut. It'll heal.

You found yourself tracing the symbol when changing the bandage. Why did it look years old? Frustrated and wrung out from puzzling over the blight on your skin, you pressed your finger into the symbol.

Pain arced down your arm and you yelped, reflexively yanking your hand back and subsequently banging it on the bathroom counter.

"Ow..." you clutched your hand, knuckles throbbing, and stared at the scar in shock. That wasn't a normal pain response... It felt as if a knife had been stabbed in between your ulna and radius and yanked up towards your carpus.

You put the new bandage on quickly after that, and treated the area gently from then on.

The mystery of it all, and how ominous it was began to take its toll on you.

Work and university were as tough as ever. While you may have been treading water decently beforehand, now you found yourself barely able to keep your head out of the brackish liquid. You were fatigued, concentration wavering as not a moment was spent without the looming fear of the scar overshadowing it.

You tried to maintain the same outward expression of stability, but despite your best efforts the façade you put on was cracking from stress.

Trudging out of the auditorium after your third boring, yawn-inducing class, you entertained the thought of skipping the next one to take a nap in the campus library. There were nice, squishy chairs on the second floor, and you knew you could secure a secluded corner to conk out in for an hour. Tons of people did it, you saw them sometimes with blankets they brought in their bag draped over them.

Oh, just imagining the comfort of those chairs made you sleepy. You could afford to skip one itty bitty class, right?

Do I really need a good grade point average?

Meandering down the hall in your silent reverie, you failed to notice that you had attracted attention, one of the blue haired, irritating kind.

You were weighing the two options in your mind, halfway across the courtyard when you heard the telltale heavy footsteps.