•38•

Content warning: mild violence

Charlie hadn't changed a bit since you had quit. The second you had gotten off the bus at your meetup location you recognized her - long black hair tied off in a side ponytail, bundled in a wool coat dyed a dark red with white fur trim, a similar hat tucked onto her head. When she had noticed you she rocketed off the wooden bench and ran towards you with a smile as bright as the sun.

"Ohmygosh long time no see! It's just been ages! You look good though! Can I give you a hug? That isn't weird, is it?" she asked rapid fire questions gleefully, and you found yourself bundled into a soft hug the split second after you nodded.

The two of you went for lunch at a moderately nice restaurant, something middle of the road in price and atmosphere. You ordered the least expensive appetizer and a water, internally cringing at the idea of spending any money at all. When Charlie questioned you it was easy to tell her that you had eaten a big breakfast and were trying to save money. Both things were true.

But it only took a little prodding from Charlie to get to the root of your excuses. Maybe it was because she wasn't as close, maybe it was because you were tired of keeping so much inside.

Like a pot bubbling over, all the problems you had with your parents came spilling out. The stress about school and quitting your job soon followed. Cathy and her less than pleasant attitude and the things she had done to you couldn't be explained fast enough. You were sure you were oversharing, speaking for minutes on end without a break, but it was just so good to let it out.

The only things you kept to yourself was your sleeping problems and the full scope of the Halloween event. At best, you'd sound paranoid or slightly unhinged. At worst, she'd probably make an anonymous call to have you involuntarily committed.

Charlie nodded along or gave small placations of 'that sucks' and 'yikes' among others, fiddling with her water glass and eventually her food, when it arrived.

"I'm sorry all of that's been happening to you." she said, scraping her fork around to gather up the leftover sauce on her plate.

"But you're really brave to be able to get through all of it. Moving out is a big thing, even if it's expected eventually."

You smiled, relieved. You felt heard for once.

When the two of you finished lunch you went to a coffee shop for some take out drinks. The hot cup warmed your fingers as the two of you ambled down to the park.

A flat plane of manmade grass separated the thick woodland from the surrounding suburbia. Currently covered in a layer of snow, the white expanse was disrupted by the print of many boots, and most importantly, the stamp of many little paws. Even in the middle of winter dog walkers were abundant, bringing their animal companion on a frosty walk among the barren trees. The paths were compressed into an uneven blanket with an icy crust, so the walk was just a touch slippery.

Charlie chatted with you about her life updates as the two of you encountered happy, fluffy dogs ready to be pet. Laughter and smiles were abundant between the two of you as you cooed over the dogs and exchanged small talk with the owners. There were lots of big breeds out, mostly labradors and some huskies. Medium sized breeds like beagles and a few spaniels who were eager to please, leaning their body against your legs while their tails wagged like crazy.

There was quite a bit of workplace gossip she shared with you. Some petty drama between coworkers and some new worker that they hadn't been able to catch stealing.

"Yeah, dave's actually gone now because of that. Too much stuff to let slide." Charlie said, shrugging her shoulders and raising her eyebrows.

"Wo-w." you broke the word into two syllables.