•45•

Content warning: depersonalization, auditory/visual hallucinations (disclaimer: this is not an accurate depiction of hallucinations), vomiting

I've finally made a tumblr after a million years. If you want a peek at the inside of my brain or want to yell at me incoherently then follow me at: mushr00mfriend

--

"Hello."

The person in the mirror had spoke. To you. It was clear as day, like they were in the bathroom with you.

For once, you genuinely considered the fact that you were likely going insane.

"Uh." You said, eloquently, vividly aware of the absurdity of the situation. Your hair was uncomfortably wet, and your mouth was uncomfortably dry.

"Surprised?" the mirror image asked.

"Me too. I think it has something to do with how close the end is."

"What?" you narrowed your eyes at the mirror image, watching as their hand came up to cradle their chin. You blinked, pinched yourself, then snapped your finger near your ears. You weren't hearing anything else, and there were no other odd things happening in the bathroom, no moving ceiling or malicious voices or skittering bugs. You were just hallucinating... this.

"Okay... And who are you?"

The mirror image gave a little smirk, as if you were a bit slow on the uptake.

"You. I'm you."

You stood there, staring, and you in the mirror stared back. They were nearly identical to you on a normal day, save for the look in their eye. Hardened, determined, it was the look of someone ready to kick ass and take names. Someone with an unfamiliar hunger – for what, you knew not. Someone with a familiar weariness that had defined a lot of your life recently.

What you did know was that your own eyes probably reflected nearly the opposite. You were scared, soft.

"I'm definitely going crazy." You stated flatly. The you in the mirror tilted their head.

"You aren't going crazy in the way you think you are. I mean, you are hallucinating, but this is more of a carbon monoxide thing than a true neurological disorder type deal. Something's allowing us to talk."

"I don't get it, then. Why?"

"Who knows?" they replied, maintaining unwavering eye contact.

"Then, what are you?" you asked.

"Ah, now we're getting somewhere." They responded, smiling wider.

"I believe I am a facet. Or something more. A splinter, maybe." They crossed their arms, looking off to the side. A disgruntled expression passed over their face.

"I remember everything. All the things they don't want you to think about is me, and then some. The body keeps the score while the mind is made to lapse."

"What are you talking about?" your head was starting to hurt, and you watched as your mirror image clutched at their forehead, face scrunching up.

"I forgot this happens. God, okay – quickly. Those men that beat you up in the forest kept coming back. They'd take us into a forest and make us do quests or whatever. I think whoever has made you- me is coming to collect."

Each sentence made the blood pound against your skull, muscles in your neck seizing up to a painful degree.

"Stop." You whimpered.

"That's it, that's everything I know." The mirror image said, already recovered and staring at you with disdain.

"Shake it off already."