GHOST OF YOU

11| Who am I?

The leather book felt rough against my palm as I slid onto my bed and placed the book between my knees. If I opened this book, I'd be getting the answers I needed but I'd also be involving myself in Loki's history, something he asked me to do.

I took a deep breath, and opened the book. Black scrawl met my eyes, with a page that seemed as old as time itself stuck to it's inner binding. Reaching out, I touched it.

My eyes snapped open and dirt rained down upon me.  Canon fire sounded and the sound of gunshots ran through the air. "And forward!" I heard a yell.

I spun around, seeing a group march forward. A flash of dark hair and blue eyes met my sight as his grey-blue Confederate uniform blackened with dirt. The group ducked as a shot rang out near by. Lifting his musket high, Loki took a shot.

Blood streaked his face, his face cut and bruised. One gold star flashed on his uniform. Loki had been a Major.

Pulling my hand back, the smell of gunpowder filled up my nose, making me cough.

I turned the page. A rough drawing of only could be described as my twin stared back at me. The unsmiling face of Vanessa Kershaw. Loki hadn't lied, we looked exactly alike.

The same sloped nose and freckles on the skin. Hesitantly, I pressed my hand to the paper.

"Miss Kershaw darling, are you awfully sure you want to marry that daft Lord Peakes" a stout plump woman said scuttling around the half dressed lady.

The strings on her corest were pulled tight and Vanessa winced. "He's not daft, Hettie, he's sweet and kind and after everything he saw at war, I wouldn't hestiate to give him the life he deserves" Vanessa replied.

I frowned but a knock sounded at the door. Vanessa finished dressing. "Enter" she said, glancing at Hettie.

The door opened and Loki stepped through. His blue eyes swept the room, probably years of military training kicking in. "Ah Miss Vanessa Kershaw, you look absolutely beautiful" he said, taking in the splendour of Vanessa, bowing at the waist.

"Lord Peakes, you are too kind and certainly the rumours are true when they say you have a way with words" Vanessa replied giggling.

"Shall we?" He asked, extending a hand.

Vanessa placed hers within his grasp and he bent to kiss her kuckles. "My lady, after you" he said, gesturing out the door.

I opened my eyes. Taking a deep breath, I turned the page again and a newspaper clipping encased in glass caught my eye. 

Loki Peakes
Born 13th Jan 1847
Died 17th Nov 1865
Aged 19

Under it a small painting for his face, staring back at me. I wanted to touch the clipping but I was afriad what I would see. Taking a deep breath, I touched it.

"Father, I have come to ask your blessing to marry Miss Kershaw" Loki said, as my eyes opened. 

I recognised this scene immediately. This is when Loki died. "What?" His father spat.

"I wish to marry Vanessa and I would like your blessing to do so" Loki said, straightening his spine.

Loki's father's face filled with rage. "You do not deserve happiness!" He yelled.

Tears filled Loki's eyes. "You are an abomination! You are the reason my wife is dead!" The father yelled.

Loki was struggling with his emotions. "Father, please" Loki begged, stepping forward.

"You do not deserve love! Vanessa will never love you!" His father snapped again.

Loki flinched. The candles emitted the glow around the room, flickering their shadows against the wall. "Loki?" A female voice called out.

Vanessa.

Loki started for the stairs but his father reached it first. "The boy never wants to see you again!" His father roared, his face flushed red with anger.

"No!" The cry coming from Loki.

He tried to push past his father but instead his father grabbed his arm, twisting it behind his back. "You are nothing but a disappointment" the father growled out in anger.

I turned my head as Loki's father pushed Loki down the stairs wincing at every thump before it went quiet.

Walking quietly, I looked down the stairs and swallowed a lump in my throat. Loki laid there at an odd angle, his head resting against the wall with a trickle of blood falling down his forehead and from his mouth. "Loki!" I heard a cry.

Vanessa appeared next to him, grabbing him and trying to shake him awake. "No!" She screamed.

She turned her head up to the stairs and for a moment I thought she knew I was there. "You're a murderer!" She screamed.

A sob tore at my throat and I pulled away from the vision and shoved the book away from me.  The book thumped to the ground as I pulled a pillow to my chest.

Breathing heavy, I rubbed my eyes. This was all so confusing, but what did any of that have to do with my connection to Vanessa Kershaw?

Sighing, I crawled to the edge of my bed amd picked up the book, thumbing through the pages quickly until I saw something that made my draw drop.

The Peakes and Briggs family tree. Right in the middle you could see the union between Kershaw and Briggs, giving birth to three children.

I followed one line.. nothing. I followed another.. nothing but smiled when I saw Luke's name.
I followed the third line and slowed down when I saw my mothers name and my father name.

Jacqueline Briggs - Mason Styron
                            |
                 Reena Styron

Everything within me went numb. I was a descendant of Vanessa Kershaw and Keith Briggs and in a way that made me related to Luke Briggs.

I looked up as a knock sounded at my door. "Hey darling, sorry I wasn't at dinner" my father's voice said as he peeked his head in.

"What's wrong?" He asked immediately.

I turned the book around and showed him the tree. "I want you to tell me everything!" I exclaimed.

A/N

Cliffhanger!
Woo!

Did you like the memories? Well obviously they weren't good memories but you saw into that world and what about the big reveal?

Did ya see it coming?

Don't forget to vote and comment!

Lots of love, Tavana ❤❤❤