06 - Count on Me

My first attempt at courting Kyle had failed due to some cocky barista boy, as a result, I found myself driving back to the shop after school Wednesday

The Fall Festival was Saturday and I still had to get Audra to show up also.

I parked myself in front and walked in with my backpack.

Just my luck was that Aston was playing cashier the moment I stepped up to the counter and he had this big playboy smirk on his face.

"If it isn't the lovely Orion," he says and leans over the counter slightly.

I give him a tight smile.

"House latte," I say and hand him my card.

He stares at me and doesn't take the card.

I shove the card into his hand and he finally accepts the card, just to hold it for a second then return it back.

"On the house, it was my fault you accidentally spilled your drink the other day," he says and gives me a wink.

Before I can reply or smack him another voice intrudes.

"You klutz, stop flirting with the girl and get her a latte," I hear them say and see the smile I've been looking for.

Kyle.

I just nod and Aston gets to work and I seat myself at the same table as before.

After a little time, I hear a gentle knock on my table and lift my head to see Kyle with my drink.

"Didn't think Aston had his hormones in check enough to deliver," he says and places the mug down.

He begins to walk away when I tug on his apron rashly.

"Hey, would you care to join me for a cup?" I ask, a little hopeful he'll at least turn me down gently.

I see a what-the-fuck face on Aston as he cleans a mug and a rising smile on Kyle's face.

"Sure, I could use a short break after today's chemistry exam. Orion right?" he asks and takes a seat.

I simply nod and carry the cup to my lips.

"Aston, clock me in for a break and situate your southern situation... Wouldn't want Orion to see that hm?" Kyle yells.

A few teenage girls sitting at a corner table giggle and stare at Aston.

Aston gives a glare at Kyle and throws a towel at him.

And I just simply sit and sip my free latte as I try to control the laughs I'm suppressing.

I had a feeling Kyle be a wonderful friend.

* * *

"You're kidding me right?" I manage to ask, laughing wildly.

It had been an hour, a whole hour of conversing with Kyle. He was hilarious and had charm. I bet Audra would even crack a smile, they were polar opposites and that was exactly the reason they were a match made in heaven.

He was goofy and she was stately.

"No! I swear on my mother's life that my brother's online chatting partner ended up being an old man! Chris had even told me of how he felt like he was in love and couldn't wait to see her gorgeous face when in reality it was some sixty-year-old man who liked to pull pranks. His heart was broken and since then he's never trusted old men again, now he hangs out in my parent's basement and plays solitary on an old PC," he replied and took the mug from my hands before I would spill it from my laughter attack.

I calmed myself down and looked at him.

"Send my regards to him and r.i.p. Chris' heart."

He chuckles and shifts in the chair.

"It's been a pleasure chatting but I should really get back to work soon," he says and gives a smile.

He takes my mug and places it on the counter; I stare at him as he moves back around to his workstation.

"Hey, Kyle?"

He looks up from around the corner. "Hm?"

"How would you like to go to Fall Fest with me?" I ask.

"I'd love to, I mean as long as you promise you're not secretly a sixty-year-old pedophile."