Chapter 44

"Wake up Darlin' we are here."

I cracked one eyelid open, then the other, squinting as my eyes adjust to the sunlight pouring in through the windows.

Dylan just drove through the gates to the resort, the cabins now coming into view. The lake shimmers in the afternoon sun. I watch as girls in bikinis strut to the beach, showing off their perfect bodies, not a single scar marking their perfect skin.

I decide not to let the fact that my skin will never be that perfect bother me. Jake's the one that made me more secure about having the scars -

I stared at myself in the body length mirror in my room. I'm wearing a one piece black swimsuit for a pool party Jake and I were invited to at Kayla's. I tried to talk her out of making me go but she guilt tripped me into going because it's her birthday. I've tried everything to cover up these nasty scars on my arms and legs from years of abuse. No amount of makeup can cover it up.

"Princess are you ready to leave?" Jake asked from the other side of my closed door.

"No," I sighed and wrapped my arms around my stomach.

He cracked the door open to peek his head in, "Why not? You look ready." His eyes scanned my body as he said this. Making me feel more insecure.

"I can't go! What if people ask questions Jake? I don't know if I'll be able to handle all the stares and-" I stopped talking when Jake's arms wrapped around me in a comforting hug. "They're so ugly." I mumbled into his chest.

Jake kissed the top of my head before removing his arms from around me and turning me back around to face the mirror. He wiped a few stray tears from my cheeks and placed his hands on my shoulders as he stood behind me.

"Look, I'm not really good with words but I sure as hell know these-" he traced the scar on my arm with his finger gently. "- are not ugly. They're your battle wounds. They show that even though you've been through a lot, you were strong and made it through the dark. You, my princess, are beautiful."

I smiled and turned around to hug him once more.

"Say it Arianna. Say you're beautiful."

I snuggled deeper into his chest.

"I am beautiful."

×××

"When she wakes up, do not make any sudden movements."

I stared at the crackling fire that Dylan started, listening to Jake freak out about us being in different cabins.

"Okay dad! I'm her best friend, I can handle her little nightmares, okay?!" Maddie crosses her arms over her chest. Her face clearly showing she's annoyed.