Chapter 9 - Bonding and Boob Control

Blythe's POV

"What?!?!"

Bekah's question had caught me completely off guard, and now she just smirked at me, waiting for me to answer her.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, trying my best to feign innocence, but her dark grey eyes communicated disbelief.

"Oh please. Luca may believe your story, but I'm surrounded by twelve and thirteen year old girls all day at school. I know what girls in my stage of development look like."

My jaw fell open in shock. Bekah just looked at me, eyes assessing and sharp.

"You're petite, I'll give you that," she commented jovially," which makes it easier for you to be mistaken for a kid. Your baggy clothes cover your womanly curves, but you have no baby fat on your face or arms, and you definitely have a nice set of boobs. I've seen girls my age with boobs that big, but adding that to your hollow cheeks and defined jaw, I could just tell you are an adult. Plus, your hips are wider than a girl's would be."

"My hips?!" I gasped and suddenly felt insecure and fat. "What is wrong with my hips?" I demanded.

Bekah only giggled.

"Nothing is wrong with your hips. I'm just pointing out that your body is too curvy to belong to a middle school girl."

My cheeks flushed in embarrassment at my outburst.

"Still, the boobs are the big giveaway," she commented knowingly. I shifted uncomfortably on the bed.

"I just developed early," I protested. Bekah scoffed openly at my answer.

"Blythe, either Luca is knowingly cheating on my sister, and you are playing along to keep his secret, or you pulled one over on him, and he's an idiot that believes you're a child. He's a guy. It's not like he spends a lot of time studying girls going through puberty. It would be easy to convince him." She flipped her straight, blonde hair behind her shoulder. "Since I know Luca is not the kind of guy to cheat, although I think he could do heaps better than my sister, it seems to me that he truthfully doesn't know that you're a grown woman."

I was sure my sudden panic was evident to Bekah, because her demeanor quickly softened, and she began to speak encouragingly. She raised her hands in a gesture meant to placate frightened animals.

"Hey, I won't tell anyone," she promised. "I consider myself to be a good judge of character." She chuckled darkly. "I have to be, seeing as my sister and her friends are such fakes."

Bekah scooted closer to me and placed a hand on my wrist.

"You're a good person. I can sense it, so I know you must have a good reason to lie to Luca." She smiled softly. "I'd like to help, if you'd let me."

I stared at her, trying to determine her sincerity.

"If I'm lying to Luca, why would I tell the truth to you?" I asked mockingly.

"They say the truth will set you free," she teased, waggling her eyebrows. "Besides, I'm just a kid. No one would believe me." Her countenance grew serious for a moment. "Telling someone can help when things seem too tough to handle. Even if they can't save you, it's nice to know someone is there to listen to you unload your feelings when they become too much to bear."

I wondered what had happened in Bekah's short life to make her so confident in that statement. I knew I couldn't tell her the entire story. I mean, she was only a kid, but I could give her the condensed version of my story.

"I'm on the run from my boyfriend," I murmured. "He's bad news and I know he's searching for me."

"Did he hurt you?" Anger blazed in her young, grey eyes.