Chapter 4 - A Change in Plans

Luca's POV

I walked through the bus station searching for the vending machines. I was trying to waste time until the bus left again, but my mind was focused on the young girl seated beside me during my travels. When she cursed earlier, I'd almost laughed. She looked so young and innocent, but when that dirty word crossed her lips, she sounded much older, and the expression on her face had been much more world-weary.

I smirked as I thought of the girl. When I was in middle school, she'd have been my dream girl, and I'd have had many a wet dream about her. I would bet money that she was the object of many crushes at her school. Something about that thought didn't sit right with me, but I pushed it to the back of my mind.

I felt worried for her, to be honest. She must be terrified, travelling alone and then learning that she was on the wrong bus. I hoped that her mom was able to calm her and tell her what to do. In fact, I thought I should talk to her mother. If my child were alone across the country, I would want to know a good citizen was looking out for her.

With that decided, I hurriedly selected some snacks from the vending machine and began to walk back to the bus. When I saw that Blythe was still speaking with someone on my phone, I waved my hand to get her attention. I held my hand to my ear in the shape of the phone, and then pointed to my cell phone.

I want to talk to your mom, I mouthed, hoping she could read my lips. She nodded in response, and I grinned at her. With a sudden spring in my step, I hopped up the stairs of the bus and bounded down the aisle.

Blythe blushed and shyly handed me the phone. I held it to my shoulder and whispered to her.

"What is your last name?"

"Conners," she answered softly.

"Thanks," I replied, lifting the phone to my ear. "Hello, Mrs. Conners," I began. "My name is Luca Morelli."

"Hello, Mr. Morelli," a kind voice responded.

"I just wanted to let you know that I'm keeping an eye on your daughter for you. I'm a New York City detective, and I know you must be concerned knowing your daughter is travelling alone today."

I watched Blythe's eyes widen when I disclosed my occupation.

"I was definitely upset when she first phoned," her mother replied.

"I'm sure this isn't the first time a young girl got on the bus to the wrong city, Mrs. Conners. She was really upset when she realized, and I hope you take it easy on her." I turned and winked at Blythe. She stared at me sheepishly.

"Yes, well, that's Blythe. Always doing the unexpected." The woman had a hint of laughter in her tone.

"Mrs. Conners, did you decide what you want her to do? Does she need to get off at this stop to purchase a new ticket, or do you want her to ride the bus all the way to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania?"

"Well, Detective, I'd love to be able to get her a ticket right now, but money is really tight with her father in the hospital, and I'm worried she might get misdirected again."

The woman's voice sounded suddenly weary, and the cop in me wanted to help.

"I'd be more than happy to pay for her fare, Mrs. Conners." She cut off my next words before I could continue.

"That's very sweet of you, Detective, but I can't take a handout. Lawrence would never forgive me." She paused before continuing her train of thought. "Would you mind desperately if she finished riding with you to Pittsburgh? I'll talk to her father to see if we can't get the money to bring her home. We don't get paid until Saturday, but we may be able to scrounge together the funds."