The Doctor and The Playboy

I stood there for a long moment just looking at Mason, it was weird but at the same time so good to see him again. Mason was there in front of me; I could hear his voice, see him and actually touch him. I was looking at my childhood bestie and nothing else mattered to me at that moment.

Mason looked at me with just about the same amount of shock, I doubted he expected me to open the door when he knocked and I didn't blame him, he hadn't heard from me in over six years.

I watched as Mason's shocked expression slowly wavered and the corner of his lips curled, forming his famous smirk.

He cleared his throat. "Look I know I'm hot and all, but could stop raping me with your eyes, it gets creepy." He said in his most cocky, arrogant voice ever.

I remembered the exact same sentence he used on me when I opened the door years ago, that time I was annoyed but this time I was amused, Mason was really in front of me so this time instead of scowling at him I did the first thing my heart shouted at me to do. I leapt forward and wrapped my arms around his neck. "Mason." I breathed with a wide smile, wrapping my arms tighter around him.

I think I caught him off guard because it took him a few moments before he returned the hug and closed his arms around me. I shut my eyes, taking in his very familiar scent and feeling his familiar warmth.

The smile didn't leave, I felt like I was in high school again and hugging Mason after a long time. Mason was still Mason, he still felt and smelt like Mason, he still made me feel the same way when I hugged him, I truly felt like I was at home again. In that moment, like a kaleidoscope of memories, I recalled all my time spent with Mason, the amount he made me smile, laugh and roll my eyes, the beach, the changing room incident, the park, his garden eating brownies with Grandpa Mitch, the bowling arena, the cemetery church, the mall, his room, my room, my balcony when we became friends again, our conversations, our fights, our emotional moments, our moral support for each other, the yacht party we crashed, the amount of fun I had dancing with him, pulling him in the rain with me, the beach house and then Independence Day.

"Carly who's at the..." I heard Nicole's voice from behind me trail off.

Nicole's voice brought me back to reality with the memory of Independence Day. I opened my eyes and it instantly fell to the large diamond on my finger. I stilled and immediately pulled away and stepped back, looking at anything but Mason.

I looked down but I could feel Mason's gaze on me. "Hi Mason." Nicole greeted politely.

Mason took a brief moment before he replied and thankfully I could feel his eyes tear away from me. "Hey Nicole, is Liam here? I have something about the building to discuss with him."

His voice hadn't changed; it was like I'd never left. But I was wrong, I did and everything had changed.

"Yeah he's in the living room, you can go through." Nicole said.

"Thanks." Mason said and I heard the front door shut.

Mason stepped into the entrance room but I still couldn't look at him. I couldn't let myself get carried away again, it was wrong. "What a surprise seeing you again Carly, a fairly good one." Mason murmured above me before he walked into the living room.

Swallowing I managed to look up to see Nicole watching me with steady eyes, her mind probably had a ton of question. She opened her mouth to say something but I walked pass her, up the stairs and into my bedroom.

If my mind wasn't so preoccupied I would've taken the time to notice that my room hadn't changed a bit since I left, it was still the very same.

I ran a hand through my hair twice as I paced back and forth. I stopped and looked at the closed curtain covering the glass door that opened to my balcony. I took in a calming breath, opened the curtain and door and stepped out onto the balcony, allowing the very familiar Californian air greet me.