"Staying with me" (4)

^^^^^ Alexander Davenport
__________

Alex

Brett stared at me in bewilderment. He stays frozen like that, us two staring back and forth between each other, until the nurse comes in.

"Yes?" She looks between Brett and I like she isn't surprised that I actually am awake.

"Uh," Brett turns to the nurse. "I think he hit his head a little harder than we thought."

"And why do you say that?"

Brett looks to me then to the awaiting nurse, "He says he's seeing his, dead, mother."

The nurse looks blankly between Brett and I before looking down at her clipboard, in her hands, and writing something that I couldn't quite see.

"Mr, Davenport," she looks up at me, "are you absolutely positive that you have seen your 'dead' mother?" I nod. "Okay then." She writes more on her clipboard before looking to Brett.

"I'm going to make a few calls and then he will be free to go home." Brett nods and squeezes my hand while he looks at me. The nurse leaves the room and it fills with an empty silence.

"How are you feeling?" Brett breaks the silence. I look at him for a moment before speaking.

"I'm just dandy, Brett, just dandy." I rip my hand from his grasp and turn my head away from him. He sighs and gets up.

Brett runs his hands through his hair for a few minutes as he paces around the room. I watch him in silence as he gets more frustrated by the minute.

"I'm trying to help you here, Alex, but all you do is push people away. Can't you understand that all I want to do is fucking help you but you don't appreciate that I'm spending my personal time attending to you of all people. I don't have to try you know. I could have left you to bleed to death on that bathroom floor but, no, I stopped you. And did you cut that day? No! You didn't! You're welcome by the way." And with that he leaves. Leaves the room. Leaves me speechless.

⭕⭕

It's been two days and Brett hasn't talked to me. I tried texting him, he gave me his number before we left to school on Monday morning, I tried calling him. I've even tried talking to him in the halls at school but he just shakes me off and walks away from me.

Now I'm laying on my bed, listening to Falling In Reverse on my phone, tapping and humming along to the beat.

My father is away on another business trip, thank the good Lord above.

Soon I'm dancing around my room singing to the song that had just came on by Falling in Reverse.

I am aware that I am an asshole
I really don't care
About all of that though

(Nah nah nah)
(Nah nah nah)

I got nothing to loo-oose

(Nah nah nah)
(Nah nah nah)

'Cuz honestly I'm just like you.

I play air guitar for the mini solo that plays in between the first and next verse.

I got a bad case of ADD

(uh huh)

I've been this way since seventeen
I've got a

(fucked up brain)

And a really bad attitude
Blame it on my drug abuse