Book 4⌇4. Intimate?

Chapter 4 ∣  Intimate?

-Maverick

I wish they would stop treating me like I'm an enemy!

I wish they would stop referring to me as dangerous!

I wish they would stop turning everyone I know against me, especially the only friends I have!

"Tamsin, you need to stay out of this," Rainier still holds the chain tightly. When Zak turns to Tamsin, kneeling she backs away, but he reaches out his right arm and catches her upper arm, holding her near him.

Anger flies through my body, a hate growing toward Zak with each passing day. Every time he decides to intervene, brings me that much closer to ignoring the rules, and truly seeing just how much of a monster everyone is making me out to be.

"One day, you'll understand just how dangerous he is," Zak motions to me, my black rose eyes glowering at how easy it is for him to pin everything on me, "and when that day comes, I hope you aren't just guided blindly by your emotions"

Tamsin's vivid and beautiful blue eyes glance away from Zak, turning her attention on me. She tilts her head to the side, studying me for a moment while she tries to understand what evil they could possibly be talking about.

Tamsin pulls her arm away from Zak, and he willingly lets her go, "I don't see the monster you claim him to be. You're all just terrible!" She lashes out, growling at both Zak and then Rainier, challenging the very hunters that specifically watch over our coven, just because they are aligned through my mother.

What my mother saw in Zak and Rainier...

...I think I'll never understand.

She pokes Zak in the stomach, hissing, "You're all turning him into what you fear he is. One day, you'll regret it, as you are making an enemy out of him."

"He attacked a human," Rainier sighs in irritation, knowing that reasoning with a child will be an endless argument.

"He protected me," she fires back, skipping her steps toward me and rushing past Zak, "yes, I have the right to feed and after all, I'm just a child, and she hurt me, so Maverick was looking out for me. That isn't wrong."

"A child that needs to be taught her place," Zak walks toward Tamsin as she skirts around Rainier and stands near my side, "just like he will learn his. You shouldn't even be out here without your parents, especially with that rogue attack. You are a future assassin, someone who should be neither seen, nor heard, yet you walk out and decide to take what could easily have been provided for you. Your position within the coven is to stay within the coven walls, you do no one any good being out here—along."

For a hunter, he knows way more about how the vampire society works than he should. Rainier's chain continues to keep my arms pinned at my sides, and if I dare to even draw my focus on the blood that had fallen to the ground in my surprise, both will see that as an act of aggression and probably justify that to end my life.

Oh, wouldn't my father just love that?

Instead, I just wait, releasing my tension and letting my eyes revert to their hazel blue, Tamsin's side next to mine. I can faintly smell the remnants of the blueberry shampoo she had used, trying to use that to calm my nerves as these two only seem to be striking and testing my last one.

Zak's white irises look up from the two of us, flickering them to Rainier briefly. Without a single word, he nods his head, the chain that is wrapped tightly around my body loosens, Rainier letting it drop before recoiling it to his side, twisting it until he places it behind his back and out of sight.