Episode 28: the past is in the past

Anne felt relieved after she picked up the last bag and carried it outside of the apartment.

"Are you ready to go?" She asked.
Amy nodded. She looked around. Her apartment was empty. Everything that was used to be there was gone. This made her realize that it really was the time to go, to move back home and leave everything behind. I guess i'm ready to go?" She said, not so convincing.

Anne squeezed Amy's shoulder. "I know that this is a very hard decision for you, and that it feels like you have to carry the whole world on your shoulders. But you have to know that you can always come back to New York!"
Amy smiled. "I know i can. But i know i won't. Because i have to take care of my children and i also have to take care of myself."
Anne sighed. "Do you need some 'alone-time' to say goodbye to your apartment?"
Amy shook her head. "No. I don't want to make a big deal out of it. I want to get going and i don't want to be over dramatic about this."

Anne nodded. She felt sorry for her daughter but she knew that Amy didn't had a choice. "Okay than. She said. "Let's go home."

---

In Ricky's apartment he was getting John ready for bed.
"When mommy comes?" John asked, curiously.
Ricky smiled. He didn't expect that question to come since he didn't tell John that his mother was coming home soon.
"Daddy has a little surprise for you. I didn't want to tell you right yet but mommy and grandma Anne are coming back tomorrow."
John's curious look changed into a big smile.
Ricky felt happy whenever John was happy.
He hadn't seen Amy in a couple of months so he will be seeing her pregnant belly for the first time. He felt nervous about it. About facing Amy. Because he was ashamed of himself that he didn't fought for her instead of fighting for Clementine. But he mostly felt ashamed because he hurted Amy so much.
"Everyone deserves a second chance, right? So i do too. He thought. Trying to make himself feel better.

--

Anne and Amy were at the airport. Their plane that was going to California could to be there any minute. They were patiently waiting for their plane. They were both sitting on a bench. Anne was reading a magazine about the nature. And Amy was thinking about her life. She was sitting and rubbing her belly to feel somewhat connected to her unborn child. She looked around. She could see New York City through the big windows that were right in front of her. She sighed. Amy just couldn't believe that her New York dream came to an end. 'Everything went so fast. I can't even believe i'm sitting here waiting for my plane. I can't believe i'm going to be in California again tomorrow." She thought.

Anne felt Amy's nervosity.

She looked up. "Are you okay?" She asked, uncertain.
Amy nodded. "Yes, i am mom. It's just that... I still can't believe all of this, that's all."
"You can't believe what?" Anne asked.
"I can't believe i'm going back home, and that i will have a new baby, that i will see Ricky again... Everything starts to sink in! I'm starting to realize all of this. I've been walking around like a fool, mom! Not knowing what to do? I was so selfish, leaving John for college. And the truth is... That i went off to college because i wanted to be alone, and i just wanted to be a normal teenager for a change. But now everything starts to sink in. I've been selfish to leave my son behind for my New York dream. And i was so selfish to have a date with Dr. Drey. I mean, what was i thinking? And..."

Anne interrupted her daughter before she could say anything else.

She squeezed Amy's shoulder. "Why are you bringing yourself down? You don't need to do that to yourself. You're not selfish Amy. You had just different dreams for yourself. Dreams involving having a carreer, finding the right guy, falling in love, marriage and than to have a baby. But that didn't happen. It happened the other way. But even know you had a baby in high school. You still hoped that things would work out for you, just as you dreamed. But sometimes dreams change. They change Amy! And people change too. The thing with you is that when you got pregnant with John, you tried to change your dream but you couldn't. Your dream to go to New York was too big. And when you got pregnant again, with this baby. You just kept doing what you were doing... You kept dreaming without realizing you couldn't live a dream anymore."

Amy nodded. "Yes i know. When i first found out i was pregnant with this baby, i tried to deny it like it wasn't there. I just kept going, thinking that this would go away like the flu or something. And i know it was wrong of me to have thought this way in the past. But i did think this way once. And i even considered abortion in the beginning of this pregnancy because i didn't want to go back there... To be just a mother."

Anne smiled.

"And what's wrong with just being a mother? Nothing's wrong with that? It's a beautiful thing to be a mother. It really is."
Amy nodded. "I know. And don't get me wrong. I love being a mother to my son. And i will love to be a mother to this baby as well. But i don't know if that's what i really want in life?"

Anne sighed.

"Always remember that you're not just a mother, Amy! You're a mom.
And you are a strong, independent, beautiful, young woman. And i'm so proud of you."

Amy smiled. She no longer felt at her worst, or even guilty no more.
She felt strong and ready to face the future... Her future.