24: "...to the moon and back..."

I woke up that next day equally happy and equally as sad. After my parents got home we went over to Angel's house to celebrate with his family. We had dinner and the adults had some drinks, Elias snuck away some beers for Angel and me and we sat up in his room enjoying the night. We of course made out and managed to do a little more but that's between him and me. It was overall a fun night. I was plagued by the thought of the letter and the fact I have a brother! But I didn't want to tell Angel yet, he needed time to celebrate this win. Maybe I'll wait until his dad makes it home, then I'll tell him.

    I wasn't hesitant about speaking to my parents about it. I wanted to know their opinion and their thoughts about the whole situation. After all, they didn't have any control over that, I can't blame them or be mad at them because of something so left field. I'm sure it also took them by surprise when they read the letter unless Cindy told them about him when they had met. Either way, I was ready to speak to them about it.

    I made my way downstairs and headed into the kitchen. They were making breakfast and seemed fast at work at the same time. "Hey guys, can I talk to you for a minute?" They didn't turn their heads. "Mami, Papi, can we talk about something?" They were still busy. "Hello!" I yelled and it caught their attention. "When you guys aren't busy can we talk?"

    "Yeah, mi amore, we can talk now, let's just get breakfast out and we can chat." My mom stuffed some papers away and grabbed our plates.

They were trying. I recognize that.

    We sat down at the table with a few arepas on each of our plates and a glass of tea. "I read the letter." No point beating around the bush right?

    "Did you?" Dad took a sip of his coffee. "How are you feeling?"

    "Confused, cheated, a bit hopeful. I don't know how to describe what I'm feeling because I'm feeling so many things." I pushed around my arepas hoping my thoughts would organize. "I guess I would want to know if you met him, or did she talk about him when you went to get me?"

    "Honestly no, we found out you had a brother when we read. . . when we read the letter."

    "When did you guys read it?"

    "After you found out you were adopted. I went up and grabbed it one night when you were out with your friends. We read it then, it wasn't right but we wanted to protect you." I went to say something and my dad stopped me. "Of course, we now know you don't need our protection, just our support."

    I was stunned. They listened to me and understood.

    "You said you feel cheated, how so?" My mom took a bite of her breakfast.

    "I wish I got to know him, I want to know him. I think it would have helped me very early on knowing I was adopted and knowing I had a brother. At least there was someone I could've gone to, you know?"

"I understand. I'm sorry we couldn't do that for you."

"I don't blame you papi or you mami, this is something you guys didn't know about. I have no right to be angry at you over that." I sighed and finally took a bite trying to fill up my stomach before school. "A part of me wants to find him."

"Maybe we can reach out to the adoption agency we used and hopefully they could connect us."

"You think that would work?" I sat up a bit more hopeful.

"I'm not sure but it wouldn't hurt to try."

I didn't know what to say. I honestly didn't expect them to give me an answer, let alone a solution to my problem. It feels like we've been going back and forth for so long that we're now finally getting back to the place we were before, but better. I really hope we can repair whatever is broken, I just also have to give it my all.