Chapter 44

"Hello," the cashier, a wolf, greeted us with a forced smile on her face. Worry and fear filled the wolf's eyes, and I had a feeling that she didn't trust us, especially since we were wolves and because of the "attack" that I had before coming over to her. "Did you find everything all right?"

"We did," Corbin said and offered her one of his "winning" smiles while he slowly nodded. "Thank you for asking."

I rolled my eyes and didn't say a word while I set down what I had gotten except for the coffee, and Corbin followed suit.

"I think we got a little too much, though," Corbin said apologetically while he shrugged and grimaced. "So, I do apologize for that."

The girl shook her head and offered Corbin a small smile, even though I could tell that it was fake. "It's ok," she said and started to ring up what we had gotten. "It seems like you two eat a lot," she said, and Corbin chuckled and nodded.

"We haven't really had anything to eat all day," Corbin said with a small shrug. "We've been too busy to eat."

"No," I said while I scowled and narrowed my eyes at this male, feeling annoyed. "We ate McDonalds and then had some snacks from a gas station when we filled up at the beginning of our journey. I remember because you kept trying to get the kid to try different things, and she would shake her head no before you pout and whine but eat what you tried to give her."

Corbin snorted and shook his head. "I did no such thing, Miss Rice," he said with a small tsk in his voice. "You can't prove that I did so."

"Corbin, you do realize I have cameras in my truck, right?" I asked and raised an eyebrow in question. "You should know because this isn't the first journey that we have taken with each other."

Crobin shrugged and looked indifferent. "And it's not going to be the last," he said before he raised an eyebrow and smirked. "Unless..."

Unless you become a Luna and not a Rogue any longer...

I rolled my eyes and scowled. "Unless Cap and Tally listen to me and get someone off my back," I said, and Corbin grinned. "I don't need to be babysat by someone because I can handle my own damn self."

"Awww, but you are being cared for," Corbin said and patted my head, and I bit back a growl but bared my teeth at him in warning. He bit back a small laugh and held up his hands in surrender. "That's the only reason why that doesn't happen."

I rolled my eyes again, and my scowl grew deeper. I felt exhausted and annoyed, and I had no idea why I was stuck with him again.

Corbin grinned as if he knew what I was thinking, and amusement flashed through his eyes. "Don't tell me you are still hating this, Miss Rice."

"Oh, I am," I said while I nodded in confirmation. "If I get a call that says I can send you back "home," then guess what's going to happen?" I narrowed my eyes and scowled, and Corbin laughed and shook his head.

"Oh, but that call isn't going to happen," Corbin said and gave me a pointed look. "Cap and His Majesty won't give it to you." He whispered the "His Majesty" part while he raised his eyebrows higher, and the cashier relaxed slightly.

I grumbled before I took a sip of my coffee, and Corbin beamed because he knew that he "won" that round.

"Are you supposed to contact him?" he asked and raised an eyebrow in question, changing the subject. "Or have you talked to him about when you should call him next?"

"I am probably going to call him as soon as we get back to Clint's house," I said while I took another sip of my coffee. "I am sure that he and Her Majesty are making sure that the girl is settled with Tally and Clemson and getting some sleep."