21 | Ethan is just recycled Everett

The sun dips low in the sky, casting a pinky hue over the water. Canna lilies sway in the cool breeze. Ethan crouches by the lake, rubbing two sticks together to get the bonfire started.

"I think it's the wind," he grumbles. "I swear I keep seeing it almost catching fire but then it goes out."

"It's been like twenty minutes, I think it's time to call it."

"But this is the proper way to do it," he argues. "Like real nature bros." WTF, did I just say 'nature bros'? What does that even mean?

My mouth twitches at his thought. "You didn't bring a lighter, did you?"

"No," Ethan says ruefully.

I was quite sure he would forget. I dig through my pockets and fish out a matchbox. "Luckily I came prepared."

"Oh thank god, my arms were getting dead tired."

Ethan throws his sticks onto the massive bonfire pile. It's as tall as I am. Rather than sticks holding it up, it's more of a heap of leaves. Not even dried ones, just leaves that he shook off a tree when we got here.

I light a match, holding it to the edge of the pile. A stick catches on fire, burning steadily with a small flame. Ethan bats at the heap, pushing leaves on top of the fire.

"Why are you trying to smother it?"

"No I'm just adding more kindling to make it bigger."

The flame grows smaller as Ethan continues throwing leaves on it. His thoughts hold a surprised edge when it eventually burns out.

"I'll just start another." I push open the matchbox. "Let's allow it to grow naturally; the bonfire doesn't need to be very big to cook on anyway."

"Ah yes...cook." I hope Lukas isn't hungry. I didn't bring a single piece of barbecue.

Goddamn Ethan! My stomach rumbles in protest.

Ethan snatches the matchbox from me. "Let me help." I'll just distract him with a cool bonfire and then we can go to the diner.

After a few failed attempts he manages to get one lit. I'm glad I thought to bring a full box. Ethan crouches near my feet holding the match out uneasily.

I step a bit closer. "Shall I—"

"No no, I can do it." Aaah the flame is so near my fingers. I really don't like fire.

He lights the edge of a stick and then tosses the match away in a hurry. It falls on my shoe, setting the laces aflame.

"Ethan!" I exclaim, stamping my foot to smother it.

"Oh, SHIT!" WHAT DO I DO? His mind darts around for a solution. Water!

"Wait, no—!"

Ethan barrels into me, pushing me into the lake faster than I can protest. I yell as my body flips through the air, flailing wildly with nothing to grab onto.

The water is ice cold under the setting sun. It cuts into my body like a million freezing needles. I break the surface, spluttering.

"Wh-why would y-you do that?" My teeth are chattering, fingers so numb that I can barely feel them.

"I saved your life, basically!" Ethan crouches at the bank. "You were on fire."

"You set me on fire!"

"It was an accident!"

"Everytime we end up here." I huff, realizing it's going to take ages to dry my clothes now that the sun has gone down. "It's like you want me to get naked."

"No, I don't!" Yes, I most definitely do.

I fold my arms and glare at him.

Ethan opens his mouth to protest again but his thoughts instantly counteract everything he says. "They're all just little accidents, Lukas." Though...you look hot soaked through...your thin white T-shirt sticking to your body. And...God, is it obvious how turned on I am right
now?

Ethan gives me his hand to haul me up and I consider pulling him in. I think the way his mind is going, freezing water ought to help him out.

 I think the way his mind is going, freezing water ought to help him out