7 | for some reason Tobias has got it in his head that he's my wingman

Toby looks to Ethan and smiles politely. "Hello! I'm Tobias. Are you new here?" This must be the Ethan everyone's been thinking about.

"Yeah! I just started work today. I'm Ethan."

"Oh, do you like Star Wars?" Tobias nods towards the book he's holding. "You know, the cinema is giving away a few free tickets for a screening this weekend. You both should come."

What the hell does Tobias think he's doing?

"A Star Wars screening?" Ethan perks up. I hope it's the third one! Revenge of the sith is the best....

"It's Revenge of the Sith," Tobias says quickly.

"No way, that's my favourite! I watched the prequels before the original series so I had no idea Anakin was going to be Darth Vader. Like I already knew about Darth Vader, and I had heard of his 'I am your father' scene, but I didn't know who's father he was—I thought he was Anakin's father! So, I was really shocked when he was Anakin, you know?"

"Yeah that was such a plot twist." I nod vaguely, half distracted by this cute rant but also still annoyed at Tobias for showing up and lying through his teeth. Leave him alone, Toby. He doesn't know you're eavesdropping on his thoughts.

"That's Lukas' favourite too, that's why I was looking for him." Tobias throws me a shit eating grin. Come on Lukas, I'm just trying to help you out.

No you're not! I argue with him silently. I don't even like Star Wars.

Tobias shrugs. But you like him....

I shake my head to clear it of all thought. "Yeah, I don't know if I'll be free this weekend."

"Oh. Don't worry about it." Ethan forces a smile. Does he find me annoying? I knew I shouldn't have accepted the job here, where Lukas would have to see me everyday. I think I gushed about Star Wars way too much...no one likes it that much.

I backtrack. "It's just that, I need to help Oma with some chores and I'm not sure how long that would take." Then I add for good measure, "But I do love Star Wars."

He loves Star Wars? He's officially perfect. Brown eyes blink and become swoony once more. And he really cares about his grandma. Lukas is so thoughtful.

Tobias purses his lips at my lie. It's bold of him to cast judgement upon me when he made up a whole fake screening.

Toby glares at me. That's different! I'm just being a good wingman to my bestie. You're the one lying about your feelings.

It's not like that.

Dude, you're literally staring at his eyes and thinking they're 'swoony.'

Go away, Tobias.

I bite my lip, speaking up before Ethan can wonder why we're just silently staring at each other. "Maybe I can finish up some work and come for a night show."

"It's a 9pm show," Tobias cuts in. At least...now it is.

Gee thanks. I try to sound sarcastic, but secretly I'm glad. I wonder what opinions Ethan will share about his favourite movie.

You're welcome. The tone in Tobias' head sounds smug.

No one can mind their own damn business in this town.