「Chapter 20」

Davina glanced up at Elias with a curious expression as they stepped into the compound. "So what was that all about? What's going on between you two?"

Elias shrugged lightly. "Marcel seems to have taken issue with some of my...activities since arriving in New Orleans," he explained vaguely. "He believes my methods have been a bit too disruptive."

"Disruptive?" Davina echoed with a puzzled frown. "What exactly have you been up to that has Marcel so worried?"

The vampire smirked faintly. "Let's just say that in my search for answers, I may have ruffled a few feathers along the way. Broken into a place or two, burned some things that needed burning."

Davina's frown deepened. "You've been breaking laws? Getting into trouble?" She shook her head. "Elias, that's exactly the kind of thing that will make Marcel distrust you."

"I care little for Marcel's trust," Elias replied dismissively. He met her gaze with quiet intensity. "He'll come around sooner or later."

-----

Davina's room was filled with the warm glow of candlelight, the flickering flames casting dancing shadows on the walls.

She sat cross-legged on the floor, eyes closed in concentration as she focused her magic. Elias observed her intently from across the circle of lit candles.

"Good, Davina," he said encouragingly. "I can feel the energy building. Now visualize the flames responding to your will."

The young witch's brow furrowed slightly with effort. Slowly, one by one, the candle flames began stretching upward, climbing higher into wavering pillars of fire.

Davina exhaled shakily, sweat glistening on her forehead.

"Excellent control," Elias praised. "Now gently release the magic."

Davina let out a long breath and opened her eyes. The flames immediately shrank back to their normal heights. She looked up at Elias with a pleased smile.

"I'm getting better at this," she said.

"You are," he agreed with a faint smile of his own.

Davina rose gracefully and moved to sit beside Elias. "Everything feels easier when I practice with you," she confided. "Your energy...it helps me feel focused, connected... calmer."

Elias regarded her thoughtfully. "I'm glad."

He rested a gentle hand on her arm. "You're really good, especially considering how young you are. With time and dedication, there will be no limits to what you can achieve."

Davina felt a swell of gratitude and affection for this ancient, complex vampire who had become an unexpected mentor. "Thank you, Elias," she said softly. "For everything."

Elias' expression softened at her sincere words. He gave her arm a light, comforting squeeze.

The tender moment was suddenly broken by a sharp knock at the door. Davina and Elias both turned their heads in surprise.

"Davina, it's me. Can I come in?" Marcel's voice called out.

Davina shot Elias an apologetic look before calling back "Just a minute!"

She quickly blew out the candles and hurried to open the door just a crack. "Marcel, hi. We were just practicing some magic," she explained.

"I can see that," he said dryly, eyeing the remnants of the circle and the faint smoke-scented air. His gaze landed on Elias. "I need to speak with you. Alone."

"I'm sure whatever you have to say, you can say it in front of Davina," Elias said evenly, rising to his feet.

Marcel's eyes narrowed slightly but Davina spoke up before he could argue. "It's okay, Elias. I'll give you two some privacy."