「Chapter 17」

Elias glanced around the dusty attic space, nose wrinkling. "This is where Marcel makes you stay? It's horrid."

Davina shrugged, already accustomed to her dreary tower prison. "You get used to it." 

Wringing her hands nervously, she met his gaze. "Do you think you could convince Marcel to let me out for the night?"

Seeing Elias' questioning look, she explained bashfully. "I'd like to visit the Bayou again...see Jackson..."

"Davina..." Elias started gently.

She rushed to cut him off. "I know, I know soulmates or not we just met and I shouldn't be rushing off to the Bayou at night." 

Taking his hands pleadingly she added "But surely Marcel would agree if you ask him! He'll listen to you."

At that, Elias hesitated awkwardly. Off Davina's look he admitted "...Marcel actually still doesn't know I'm here yet."

"What?!" Davina exclaimed. "Mr. Super Powerful Witch with Nine Soulmates creeping around incognito? What are you waiting for?" She swatted his shoulder teasingly.

Davina quirked an eyebrow at Elias. "So when exactly are you planning to formally meet Marcel?"

He gave her an innocent pout. "I'll get around to it..."

Rolling her eyes skyward, she checked her watch pointedly. "Well you're out of time to stall. He just entered the building."

At that, Elias panicked, making frantic shooing motions. "Hide me! I'm not ready!"

Davina put her hands on her hips, looking far too amused by his flustering. "You know he can hear everything happening up here, right?"

Before Elias could retort, the attic door slammed open.

-----

Elias offered Marcel a painfully awkward wave. "Hi there..."

Behind him, Davina started edging for the door. "I'll just give you two some privacy..."

Panicked, Elias quickly snatched her hand to halt her escape. "No no, you should definitely stay!"

"It's fine, I'll head out," Davina tried unsuccessfully shaking off his grip, passing on an unconvincing smile.

Meeting her eyes challengingly, Elias insisted "I could really use your moral support right now."

Letting out an exasperated huff as they stared each other down, Davina conceded to staying put.

Marcel looked between them, temper visibly rising. "Would one of you like to explain what the actual hell is happening here?" he bit out sharply.

Davina and Elias exchanged a speaking glance but stayed silent. When it was clear no explanation was forthcoming, Marcel tried again.

"Let's start simple then - who the hell are you and how did you get into my compound?" He crossed his arms, attention zeroing in on Elias.

As Marcel glared at them demanding answers, Davina wasted no time redirecting him. "It was Diego who brought him here!"

When Marcel's gaze snapped to Elias for confirmation, he reluctantly nodded. No sense letting Diego take the full blame, but the guy had been an impatient jerk. "Yes, Diego."

At that Marcel heaved a frustrated sigh and pinched his nose before moving to the door. "Stay put, both of you."

After he left, Elias tiptoed back towards the exit only for Davina to grab his arm accusingly. "And just where are you sneaking off to?"