Chapter Eight: Dark Past. Dark Present

Despite their early arguments, Enya and Hoder both agreed that we couldn't risk bedding down to wait in the trees at the edge of the field.

As it turned out, Hoder had been attacked by a dresinae; a half snake half woman creature. Then forced out into the field, where Karpoi, the ugly Cupid baby dudes had attacked him with the rest of the field.

Shortly after, a couple of wind spirits had turned up.

'I can't remember what the Greeks call them,' Hoder had said, 'something official sounding.'

'Just call them Venti, at least a brain like your's can remember that.' Enya had snapped back.

Hoder hadn't answered, I guessed he didn't want another fight.

The horses had turned up randomly, as I jogged along the side of the road with Hoder.

Enya was acting as a sweep, riding ahead, then riding back, keeping a constant eye out for trouble.

Eventually Enya declared we would leave the road for her camp.

We headed off the road, and into a dry river bed, that must have been full of water in the spring, but was now dry except for a few puddles here and there.

It was a clever way to discuss the entrance into a camp. The stones left no sign of our passage, and the same would be true when it was running.

Eventually the river bed widened into a wide, flat, roughly circular depression. Trees towed around the edges, and at the far end was a mound of rocks, partly covered with bushes and trees.

'You didn,' Hoder said, 'Enya, I nearly died here! This was a trap then, and could still be now!'

'Take it or leave it,' Enya replied shortly, 'things are different now.'

The mound or rocks cleverly considered a clear path that wound through the boulders, all the way to the other side.

There a small, natural cave was set into the backside. It was obvious that Enya came quite a bit; there was fire piled up against the rocks, and cedar boughs had been piled at the back of the cave to make a bed.

Signs like a few bags in a corner, a plate, bole, and spoon on a rock, showed a prolonged stay.

'You don't lean, do you?' Hoder said, 'how do you get out then? Or do you just hope you don't get visitors?'

I turned to Hoder, extending to tell him to knock it off, that Enya was offering us help, shelter, and I hoped, food. But Enya dumped her helmet (she had hidden the bike back by road) and turned to Hoder with a look of irritation, and just for a moment, hurt on her face.

'After your unfortunate accident, I went and excavated a second tunnel that joins into the main path, twenty yards from the tree line. Go on and inspect it if you don't' believe me!'

Enya turned, and walked off back down the trail, leaving Hoder, and I standing just outside the cave entrance.

'Hoder!' I said turning to him, 'whats wrong with you? Enya's doing us a big favor, she's helping us find Lily! Meanwhile, you're just complaining about everything she does.'

'You can blame me Epirus,' Hoder snapped, firing up at once, 'but you what happened that day!'

He too turned and left, walking into the cave, then into the tunnel at the back. I stood where I was, not sure whether I should feel hurt, or exasperated.

I felt a little helpless that both Enya, and Hoder had just walked out. Meanwhile, all I wanted to do was get on Aquila, and do whatever it took to find Lily.