Chapter 3: A Haven on Fire

Hope you guys are enjoying this!!! Here's part 3, enjoy!!!

Eventually I reached the bottom of the mountain, and found myself in a wide valley, a wide slow flowing river spread out more like a small lake at the bottom, and there was a flock of pelicans on the rocks.

I had no idea where I was, but I was tired, and hungry.

I walked down to the water's edge, and after washing my burnt hand, covered it in mud, it soothes the pain a little, but I knew it wouldn't work for long.

I'd read somewhere that Yarrow weed helped, but I had no idea what the plant looked like, or if I did, where to find it.

Then I took off my ruined sweater, and laid on a rock.

It was getting very warm, and I was grateful for the heat, but I was also thirsty, and I didn't have much water.

All in all, I was lucky to be alive after getting carried off by a dragon, but that didn't make my situation any better.

I opened my backpack, and laid its contents out on a rock.

A blanket, a bottle of water, matches, a knife, the dagger, a tangle of string, my school books, and a bag of granola bars.

Very helpful.

I stared at the pelicans, as I took a sip of water, and ate a granola bar. I was still thirsty, and very hungry.

It was the thunder that brought me out of my thoughts of self pity.

I'd drifted into a kind of awareness of what was happening but not really.

I looked up to see thunder clouds gathering at the head of the valley, even from a distance I could see the vivid flashes of lighting.

The temperature had dropped too, and the wind had picked up.

I rose and was about to stuff everything back into my backpack when I had an idea, and stopped.

I picked up the blanket, it was about five by five feet, and of a heavy material, maybe wool.

Quickly, I spread it out flat on the ground, then took the dagger, and cut off one end a strip about a foot and half wide.

Then a slit in the middle of the blanket, big enough for my head to fit through.

The piece about two feet long was taken off the long strip, and then picking little holes along one side, I grabbed my sweater, and pulled the drawstring out of the hood. This is threaded through the holes, tying one side shut.

Then I grabbed the ball of tangled sting, and lashed it to the main blanket, around the edge of the slit I'd made.

I now had a makeshift jacket\poncho\cape thing. When I put it on, it fell almost to my knees.

I then took the remaining piece of the strip I'd cut, and cut it in half lengthwise, knotted it together, and tied it round my waist, cinching the flappy material together.

Then, grabbing up my backpack, stuffed the rest of my supplies into it, and was about to start across the river, when I heard something.

The sound of hoofs on rock, I looked up, and saw a bay mare standing about twenty feet away, head down, looking at me with large, dark eyes.

She was about fourteen and half hands, with a glossy tan coat, and black main and tail.

I turned to her, not wanting to spook her, and took a step forward. She didn't move, but seemed to be inviting me closer.