Chapter 12.

Amari K

Amari K. Sanders

First person pov:

It's hard to stop myself from singing when I have SZA and Kendrick Lamar blasting in my ear. I mean I probably should be listening to my teacher, but Mrs. Davidson just be yapping for real.  We have an away game in three days. My first UConn game. I'm worried I'm not gonna play good with a new team. I'm mean I've played with them for practice, but not on the court playing against another actual team! Don't get me wrong I'm still excited to play, I mean I wanna play so badly, it's all I can think about honestly, but its my first game since I left my old college and I don't want to let anyone down. Whatever Mrs. Davidson is talking about it must be making her angry or something. She's starting to yell. She must want me to go deaf. I shift my eyes to look around the classroom and I see Nika with her head down  and she's playing on her phone under the table with an AirPod in. I guess I'm not the only one who wants to play.

Two days till the game

We are currently loading onto the bus. It's big ass hell. We were putting our bags underneath our seats and literally anywhere they would fit. I took a seat by the window in the back of the bus.

"Can I sit with you?" I looked up and see Paige.

"Oh yeah of course"

"Okay thank you"

"Mh hm"

She sits down and puts her, which I'm guessing is her personal bag, down between her thighs. She then looked up at me.

"Nervous for the game?" she asks.

"Maybe just a little"

"Woah Amari K. Sanders is nervous?" She says pretending to be shocked.

I laugh "Not to much now"

"Don't be, you are a really good player. You got this. I believe in you."

"Thanks you. You're a really good player too."

She smiles showing her pearly white teeth.

The bus starts moving. And we sit in a comfortable silence.

"Y'all guess what.." says Aubrey from the seat next to us.

"What?" We say in unison.

"Y'all know Gabby?"

"The girl that has a fat crush on Paige?" Asks Kk from behind us leaning out from her seat.

"Whattt" says Paige.

"Yeah yeah her. She just posted her boyfriend." Aubrey says using air quotes. "But her best friend, Kylie, says it's just to make Paige jealous."

"No wayy" says Kk laughing

"Bro I don't even know her." Says Paige confused.

"That girl is crazy. She once tracked me down to ask me Paige's favorite color" says Azzi joining the conversation.

"Wait Gabby Noel? Like the girl in our astronomy class?" Imani says peaking over her seat to see me.

"The loud obnoxious one?" I ask.

"That's one way to describe her" Paige snorts.

"Oh ew." Imani says scrunching up her face.

"Youn like her?" Asks Kk.

"Not at all. She's aggravating and rude. I'm waiting for her to tell something again. I'll beat that girl's ass." Said Imani

"Wait she told you something??" Asks Nika

"Yes. I was in a bad mood that day and Mrs. Jackie was trying to get them to be quiet but they wasn't listening. Literally everyone else was quiet. It was just her and her ghetto little friends cackling in the corner. So I told them "Aw y'all be quiet" and Gabby said 'Girl shut up.' And I said 'fight me.' Then she mumbled something to her friend. Like girl if you got something to say, say it. You are in college and you still think acting out and being disrespectful is cool. And ever since she's been talking about me and mugs me every time she sees me."

Kk had a shocked look on her face while Aubrey was rolling around her seat laughing from how heated Imani was getting.

" You cannot be for real" said Paige laughing and falling over onto me.

"She thinks everybody likes hers. She stays talking to be people who hate her." Says Azzi.

"Like Kylie. How are y'all best friends but she's literally spreading your business to strangers??" Asks Nika.

"No literally." Says Kk.

About an hour later we are all doing our own thing. I'm scrolling on instagram when I feel Paige lay her head on my shoulders. I look down at her and she's sleeping. Aww sha. She looks so peaceful and pretty while she's sleeping. I put my AirPods in and listen to music eventually falling asleep too.

Suddenly I flash goes off. I slowly wake up to see Imani hovering over the seat with her phone out.

"Oh shit" she says.

"Look at you. Can't even take a sneaky picture without waking the people up." Says Kk laughing.

"Bro shut up."

"Wakey wakey" says Nika.

I slowly lift my head up to look out the window. I see a hotel, I guess we have arrived. I turn back around to see Paige passed out with her arms wrapped around me and her lips parted slightly. I giggle at the sight of her. I shake her softly.

"Paigeee"

"Hm?"

"We're here"

She unwraps her arms from around me and rubs her face with her hands. She slowly sits up, looking at her surroundings. I start grabbing my bags. She stands up grabbing hers. We walk off the bus, each of us holding like five bags. We walk into the lobby. Ouu it's nice in here.

"This is fancy fancy." Says Imani looking around.

Suddenly Kk comes up from behind her and wraps her arm around Imani's shoulder as they continue walking. Hmmm. Interesting. We got a couple weird looks from strangers. People act like they've never seen a group of tall ass girls who look like they just got kicked out of their mom's house, before.

We get checked in. I'm in a room with Paige, Kk, and Azzi. I'm about to get no sleep. Kk opens up our room door. We walk in and see only two beds. I guess I'm sleeping with Azzi. I put my bags down on my corner of the room and plop onto the bed.