Chapter 9: Fashionably Late

Queen Vivienne awoke to a quiet rapping on the door to her chambers, as she did every morning at exactly one hour after sunrise. She sat up in her bed and permitted her lady-in-waiting to come in. Today was an exciting day, she would spend all morning getting ready for the engagement party in the evening.

Vivienne watched as one of her favorite ladies, Beatrice, entered the room. Clasped in her hands was a large box containing what Vivienne knew was the dress she would wear for her and Natalia's engagement party. She rose from the bed eagerly, signaling Beatrice to open the box.

"Oh, it's beautiful," Vivienne exclaimed as she took it from Beatrice, running her hands along the soft fabric.

She pulled the gown completely out of the box and carefully laid it out on the bed, admiring it in all its glory. Her favorite part of the gown was the gorgeous flower embroidery that enveloped the bodice and cascaded down the top of the skirt.

"Why, it's wonderful! I should think your fiancée will be most pleased." Beatrice said, smiling coyly.

Vivienne could not help but flush. Was her nervousness around Natalia really so obvious? She shook her head, quickly clearing those thoughts out.

"Oh Beatrice, you forget yourself. But you are right. This dress is certainly befitting of a queen."

Vivienne began to remove her nightdress as Beatrice smoothed the gown, preparing to help her put on the dress and do her hair and makeup. Ensuring that the queen looked perfect was not a job to be taken lightly.

Vivienne sat down at her vanity dressed in only her undergarments and watched in the mirror as Beatrice began preparing her makeup, fiddling with the ring Natalia had given her after they announced their engagement.

Natalia had explained that it had belonged to her mother, and Vivienne promised to cherish it forever. Indeed, she had not taken it off since. She gently kissed the ring before setting her hands down as Beatrice began to apply her makeup.

"You are going to look gorgeous, Your Grace."

...........................................................................

The entire process of getting ready for the party took all day, and the combined abilities of many of Vivienne's maids. A queen was expected to always look perfect, so her daily getting ready usually took at a least a few hours, but this was a special occasion.

While she was getting ready, her council would go around the palace and ensure everything was as it should be. Everything about the party, from the types of wine to the folds of tablecloths, was decided weeks beforehand, but it was still important to make sure things were going well.

The party had already started and nobles from around the kingdoms of Azalea and Gladoria filled her ballroom. It was normal for royals to appear fashionably late at their own parties, practically expected, even. But it seemed like nearly too much time had passed, and Vivienne was starting to get antsy.

Luckily, she was now finally done getting ready as a maid tied the last bow in place. The oohs and awes of her maids sounded through the room as Vivienne admired her reflection.

"Marvelous, Your Majesty!"

"Positively splendid!"

"This may well be your best dress yet!"

Indeed, Queen Vivienne looked absolutely stunning. No one could look at her and deny her beauty, or her regality. She smiled. This was sure to impress Natalia.