EPILOGUE

3 Months Later

It's Thanksgiving weekend and the Bennetts invited me and  mom to stay with them at their house in Nantucket for the holiday. When Bridget called my mom at first to extend the invite, my mom was hesitant. Not because she didn't want to go, but because she didn't want to overstep, even though Bridget was the one asking if we wanted to join. My mom and Bridget actually get along super well, to the point where they even schedule weekly dinners together.

Lucas and his family arrived in Nantucket yesterday, while mom and I are driving down today, the morning of Thanksgiving. We wanted to give Lucas and his family a chance to settle in before we got here. Mom made her infamous coconut cake for dessert, only this time, she was neither at fault for something or trying to win me over with one of her wild ideas. It's also become Lucas's favorite. Every time he comes over - which is at least 4 times a week - he asks my mom when she'll be making it next. My mom and Lucas have been getting along better than I could have ever imagined. In fact, she ended up apologizing to me about doubting his character without getting to know him first. I told her she didn't need to apologize; I was at fault for it, too, when I first met Lucas.

Despite the fact that Teddy hates sports, he and Lucas are throwing a football around in the front yard when mom and I enter the driveway. Teddy and Lucas have been spending lots of time together; even participating in things that they don't like just to make the effort with one another. Like right now; like a few weeks ago when Lucas surprised Teddy with tickets to his favorite indie band, even though he's not a fan of their music.

This is the second time that I've been to the Bennett's Nantucket house; the first time was when Lucas brought me here, just the two of us, for a weekend. It was one of the best weekends of my life. He showed me around town, took me to delicious restaurants, and told me that he was in love with me. I said it back. Right away. No questions asked. No hesitation in my mind.

When mom and I exit the car, Lucas and Teddy immediately walk over to us with Lucas kissing me on the cheek and Teddy giving me a warm hug. They lead us into the house, where Bridget's double-checking the dining room to make sure that the décor looks festive enough. Each table setting has its own name card, written in script, and a chocolate foiled turkey. Leave it to Bridget to find a reason to decorate. But that's what I admire about her. I even told her that working for her was one of the best experiences of my life, and that it inspired me to want to consider event planning once I graduate college. In true Bridget fashion, she told me that I'll always have a job working the annual gala.

When we enter the kitchen, Lucas untangles our intertwined hands to greet his dad. They've been working on their relationship, and it all started back in September when Lucas had a heart-to-heart with Walter about where he sees his future going. Lucas plans on attending Princeton next fall and majoring in Business, but everything else besides that is up in the air for him. And I wouldn't have expected it to be any other way. That's Lucas for you. Yes, he puts a lot of pressure on himself to maintain his reputation, but he also is spontaneous and confident that things will work out how and when they're supposed to. Like I knew he would be, Walter was extremely supportive and told Lucas that he just wants him to be happy.

Sometimes, watching Teddy and Lucas with their dad makes me miss mine, but then I think back to what Lucas said. It's my dad's loss not getting the chance to know me. I have the best mom in the world, an amazing boyfriend, and two of the greatest best friends in Teddy and Raegan.

Bridget lets us know that dinner will be ready in 30 minutes, so Lucas steals me away from everyone and brings me to this wooden gazebo in the backyard.

"What are you doing, Bennett?" I tilt my head at him and ask when he places his phone down on the floor and leans it against the wood. He touches the screen, and Satellite by Harry Styles starts playing.

"We never got to finish our dance the night of the gala," he tells me, lending his hand out for me to take. "LilMillzzz, will you dance with me?"

"Of course, I will," I say, giving him my hand, and he pulls my body into his.

"You know, Lil, you're a really good dancer," he tells me, but I inch my body away and squint my eyes at him.

"Liar," I tease, and he shakes his head at me with the cutest smirk on his face.

"Goddess," he name-calls me.

"Suck-up," I name-call him back, and he waits a few seconds to say something else.

"Mine," he finally says, and I hold my gaze on him, giving him a smile and a nod.

"Mine," I repeat.