CHAPTER EIGHT

"Good morning Rita" I greeted the woman who was busy writing something down, i came a bit late today.

     "Good morning sweetie" she returned cheerfully.

      Her gaze went to the bruise on my face and her features hardened for a few seconds before her gaze softened, i have no makeup and even if i did, i cannot do anything with it so there's nothing to use in  hiding the bruises.

          Thankfully, she didn't question further but gave me a sweet smile that said "i am here whenever you want to talk" which i smiled in return.

      "Your new friend is waiting for you " she said with an amused look which got me confused me until i felt a small body crush my frame from behind and i instantly knew who it was..

        "What took you so long.....i've been waiting for you" she pouted looking adorable in her pink dress.

    "Awnn....am sorry i came late, but am going to let you read me all your story " i said with the most soft voice i could muster which made her grin widely, shes just too adorable.

        I let her drag to where she has arranged for both of us. I sat down beside her while she picked her first book.

    "I love this one, i've read it twice and now i want to read it to you too" she smiled flipping the book open

   "Well that is so nice of you" i commented  relaxing further in my seat.

      We sat there for two hours straight before she had to go home. I was already missing her bubbly presence.

       "She's a nice kid" Rita tapped my shoulder lovingly while i could only nod.

     The rest of the day went by as normal, no new deliveries so there was not much work to do.

      I kept humming quietly to myself while i walked on the street bustling with life. It is really amazing how everybody is lost in their own world trying to figure out their lives and future.

       I was feeling happy and free this evening walking alone and watching the beautiful scenery around me.

          I stepped into the house, waiting to hear any sound to let me know if anybody is around but there was none and the empty driveway further confirmed the fact that i was indeed alone at home. I released a huge sigh of relief before heading to my room to retire for the day.

         I woke up feeling refreshed, sally and my step sisters didn't return home last night which was relaxing accompanied with the fact that i didn't have any night mare last night.

     I went downstairs to begin my chores, i was mopping the hallway when the front door opened and sally walked in followed closely behind by allen and avery.

    "Good morning" i greeted keeping my gaze on the ground

     "What's good about the morning if i have to see your pathetic face" sally brushed past me as usual not hiding the disgust in her tone.

      "Breakfast should be ready in five" Allen walked past leaving avery behind, she looked lost in her thoughts like she was mind linking someone.

            "Bread and fried eggs with coffee....you know our preference" and she walked inside. I looked down at the side i had mopped which was now dirty with their foot prints which trailed inside, i slumped my shoulders and went into the kitchen to start preparing it.

      I set the coffee maker before going to get the eggs but unfortunately the crate was empty which was shocking because i could clearly remember some remaining the last time i prepared something.