The End of a Dream

Two days later...

ASTER

I stepped through the door and almost immediately, the shadows crept in. By this time, I somehow knew how to keep them slow. I couldn't control them. I could only force myself to stay calm. Not so easy to do. I tried it yesterday, and it didn't work. This time, however, my pulse was steady and slow, thanks to Tiff's concoction.

I only needed to see him. To know he was still alive.

Sitting in the chair, I watched the fire, all too aware of the shadows that crawled toward me. There was nothing much I could do but wait. But for how long? How many more nights would I drink Tiff's concoction and enter this dream until it completely crumbled?

My eyes rolled down, and I sighed. The dark void just inches away from my feet, I stood.

How did he ever endure the waiting?

As I walked to the door to leave, it opened.

And there he was.

Alive.

Surprised.

Before he could speak, I pointed over my shoulder. "Take care of it first."

His eyes jumped behind me, and his jaw tightened. He grabbed my hand and pulled me behind him before he stepped forward, hands raised. The shadows retreated, but not as easily as they did before.

"Having trouble?" I asked.

"Shut up," he growled under his breath. His body was tense as he fought to control the darkness. And just as they disappeared, leaving the room glowing in orange and yellow from the fire outside, he whirled toward me. His gaze was intense, confusion in their dark depths.

"Why do you seem surprised to find me here?"

He didn't say a word, but I could feel the strong desire to reach for me. I recognized it now. The pain he tried to hide, the longing he didn't want to show. It was never clear before, but knowing what I knew now, it all made sense.

"You didn't expect this." My voice was surprisingly soft, almost a whisper. "You knew the moment I stepped out of the border, I couldn't get back here. You knew I could never summon you from the other side, you lying bastard."

He stepped back because, suddenly, I was showing fury.

"You lied to me," I hissed.

"I did what I had to do so you could reach Brie."

"No," I said, digging a finger into his chest. "You did what you had to do so I can escape."

"That's the whole point of the plan—"

"And which part of the plan is you being trapped in Genesis? You never told me that one important detail while I was sleeping, did you? Because if you did, I would have killed you myself!"

He froze at my question. We stared into each other's eyes, holding our breaths.

I let my arm fall to my side. "I'm coming for you," I said, breaking the silence.

Fury and panic stormed his eyes. "You will do no such thing!"

"In case you're not aware, Evensen, this dream is coming to an end." The moment I said the words, the reality struck us both. This link between us, the centuries we had spent here, would soon wake up and disappear. I could summon him into another dream, but it would not be the same. It wouldn't be our dream.

"That's not the point," he said, blinking free from my gaze.

I ignored him. "I need to feed."

He blinked a few times. "What?"