Chapter 11

I stepped back, paralyzed. "What's the meaning of this?"

He wryly stared at me for a moment, his eyes filled with unspoken things that made me feel slightly guilty even though I didn't know what they were. But then he sighed and moved his hand around. "We're in a dream."

My lips pursed. "I know what a bloody dream feels like," I snapped. My eyes roamed around my old room. "I was sick," I murmured to myself, gaze jumping back to Harald. "This must be a mistake. I didn't summon you."

He closed his eyes, and I saw him roll it behind his lids. When they opened again, his dark gaze was serious. "We don't have much time. The halos will activate soon." He stepped closer, I stepped back. But the door was behind me and I couldn't stop him when he planted his hand on my forehead. "You're bloody burning." He bent and I recoiled, bumping my head against the door. His dark eyes peered into mine. "But you'll be fine. Two days the most."

When he stepped back, hand loosely resting in his pockets, I straightened to full height, my chin jutting out. "How do I make it go away?"

"You mean the fever and the headaches? I can tell you a much better way, but I don't think you'll like it." He dug deep into one pocket. "I don't have the pills with me at the moment, but I can—"

"I don't need your pills."

For a second, he just stared at me. Breaking into a taunting grin, he said, "I know you do, but let's pretend I believe you."

I shook my head, feeling lightheaded. "How are you here?"

A flash of annoyance crossed his face. "Let's talk about that some other time because that's a hard question." He stepped closer. "I told you I have things you need. Do you remember?"

I blinked slowly, feeling like I was in water—buoyant and slowly spinning. I had left my body burning in fever and I could feel it even here. Even in a dream, I was dying.

Harald snapped his fingers in front of me. "Focus, Aster. Do you remember?"

What was his question again? "Yes," I answered faintly.

"Good. I have your familiar."

My eyes snapped to him. "You stole Bellatrix?"

"Why would you think I stole—" He shook his head. "Never mind. I found her. There's a difference." When my eyes closed tightly against the crippling heat within me, I felt his hands on my shoulders. Shaking me, his voice was firm. "Focus, Aster. We don't have much time."

I swallowed and forced my eyes open. With the little strength I had left, I brushed his hands away. His touch felt like thousands of needles prickling burnt skin.

"I also have something from your sister."

Now, those were the words that really got my attention. "Brie." My eyes were wide as I stared up at him.

He nodded. "She knew she'll be the only one you can trust."

"What are you talking about, Evensen?"

He shook his head and sighed. "You should have gone to sleep early."

"You're making no sense." I pushed at him as I stumbled to the center of my old room.

"This dream's ending. The halos are activating in a while—"

"I understand the reason for the haste, but can you bloody be clear while you're being urgent?" I gritted out.

"This isn't working. Just go to The Dungeon. It's a small shop two blocks away from Good Blood. You'll find Bellatrix there. And I'll also leave something for you."