Chapter 50 - Dean

I said I would laugh, and I did.

I think I knew all along that I wasn't the Blood Alpha, and to be honest, I'm pretty happy about it. It's also nice to know ahead of time that one of my best friends is my mate.

Diana and I grew up together. Her father and mine had asked me to keep an eye on her and protect her over the years. She's a great friend and has always been innovative and focused on her studies. She does like to have fun, too, but only after everything that needs to be done is finished.

And she's my mate, according to the Mahani. I will be the first-ever Lunus of the Montross pack. Having a Lunus instead of a Luna is common now. In the old days, if a she-wolf emerged as a Blood Alpha, they would kill her and say she died while shifting. No one wanted a female Blood Alpha.

Some male Blood Alphas are mated to men, and they will become a Lunus too. That was also forbidden before. I'm glad our pack follows the Moon Goddess, not outdated traditions.

Over the past few days, Diana has joined me in training physically, and my father has been tutoring her while letting her sit in on meetings.

He also took the time to teach me how to scout finally. He and my grandfather were happy about that. I didn't mind now that the Blood Alpha training had stopped.

Diana was flustered at first. She was double hit with learning her new position, plus who her mate was in one blow. It only took overnight for her to regain her wits and implement a new school schedule and all the additional tutoring.

I have always admired her ability to think clearly and make a plan. She loves having a plan ready for anything that happens. Most of the time, she has a backup plan, too. She will make a great leader.

The monthly Interpack meeting is in a few days. She asked to go, promising to sit quietly and observe. My father agreed. I was never allowed to go since my wolf hadn't emerged yet, but since we know now who she is, she can go. My girl is excited.

I was never excited. As good as I am at physical training, I wonder if I will be a warrior. I'm good enough at school, but it was always so hard. I had to work harder to get the grades expected of me.

As the Blood Alpha's son, I will continue to work hard, especially since I'm in my final year, but the pressure is off. Thank the Goddess.

Our friends teased us for fun, and those who never liked me or were jealous joined. But Diana and I don't care. I will continue to protect her, and she isn't taking any crap from the others anyway. She has always stood up for herself, and that hasn't changed. I'm so proud to be her mate.

The lead female warrior, who happens to be a Gamma, believe it or not, was assigned to personally train Diana on how to protect herself. Once she masters defensive, she will learn offensive.

"You want to be less of a target, Diana. Instead of facing someone head-on, turn to the side so your body faces away." Victoria was instructing as I walked into the area. "That's good. Just move your back foot like this." She motioned to her feet as Diana mimicked her pose.

"Any chance she's done for the day?" I asked politely. "Father wants to go over the Interpack meeting with her."

Before Victoria could answer, Diana spoke up. "We did that yesterday."

"There have been some changes. It seems that Lachlan has found his mate and is away. His Alpha sister is the acting Beta. It changes the dynamics."

"How?" She asked. I noticed Victoria had gone still and wondered about the sudden stress I felt coming from her.

"I'm not sure," I responded.

"It's okay. Diana, I want you to practice moving to this side position as much as possible until it becomes second nature. You're dismissed for the day. You did well." Victoria stated before walking away.

That she-wolf has always been serious about training. Father had told me she is an excellent strategist, too. That's her Gamma side coming out.

*******

It's been a week now, and I can see the stress on my mate. She needs to slow down and take a breather. When I pulled my father aside and requested a night off for a proper date, he agreed. But of course, there was a condition. She had to have a guard.

"Father, I will protect Diana with my life. I am trained well above my division." I was insulted that he thought I couldn't protect my mate and voiced it politely, as I like my head attached to my body. His response made my day.

"I know. That's why I'm only assigning Victoria. Normally, she would have two."

The night was clear with a waning moon, a little less than half showing. It's perfect for an outdoor picnic by the lake. It's easily defendable as we are in the center of pack land.

Victoria stayed on the edge of the clearing, looking around with her wolf eyes. I'm starting to wonder if my dad sent her as more of a chaperone. Our first kiss is supposed to be with our fated mate. Even though the Mahani stated we are mates, our wolves aren't present yet.

I sat behind Diana, rubbing her shoulders as she held her face toward the breeze. I could feel her relaxing into my hold.

"Anything you want to talk about?" I asked softly. I could tell she had a lot on her mind.

"I'm a bit scared I won't be good enough." My girl whispered.

Being the next Blood Alpha is huge, and it was just dumped on an 11-year-old. I lived with it my whole life, and I know this pressure. I suddenly feel guilty for the relief I felt when I learned it wasn't me.

"Diana. You are not taking over tomorrow or the next day. You have at least 14 years to learn this job. Think about that. You are only 11 now. You will grow into it." It's what kept me going.

"I know. I'm just a bit overwhelmed." She gave a smile and leaned back right into my arms.

"Talk out what you've learned and what questions you have. Maybe I can help."

"Well, there was the Interpack meeting. It was weird. Everyone was mixing and talking until Sinclair entered, and then everyone went silent like he was our leader. But it didn't take long for me to realize it wasn't him but her.

"The acting Beta put everyone on edge for the first half hour or so. It was like they were walking on eggshells around her. It eased off as time passed, but they weren't afraid of her. It was more like they didn't want to upset her.

"Someone growled at something Sinclair said, and she growled back loudly. They all went silent again."

I knew nothing about the Sinclair pack, so I couldn't answer that question.

"I know why," Victoria said softly.

"Can you tell us?" Diana asked as we watched the warrior walk the perimeter.

"She is the Alpha she-wolf that saved us at the Wolf Camp massacre. We had become friends there. She gave up her life for us." Victoria said sadly while still watching the surrounding forest through her wolf eyes.

"What do you mean? She is very much alive." Diana countered.

"She was raped. Repeatedly. She can never have pups. Her mate won't want her. She gave up everything." Victoria's tone was sad, and her short sentences were clipped.

"Victoria, I met her mate and pups while I was there. They came in during lunch." Diana said, confused. "I think you have the wrong person."

"What was her name?" Victoria asked while turning to us, obviously questioning what she thought was fact.

"Kayla Sinclair."

*******

Dean took that well, don't you think? -- April