Chapter 17 - Dean

While only my coming of age will prove that I am the next Blood Alpha Montross, everyone treats me as if it's already happened. It's wild that all these people act like I'm their superior, even though I don't even officially have a wolf yet. I will laugh so hard if I am of a lesser rank.

Today, however, it came in handy. I told the guards at the gate not to stop Evan and wave him through as he was doing something important. No one questioned me. If it got Amanda some help quicker, it was worth any punishment.

I doubt I'll be punished, though.

A few years back, I overheard a conversation that changed everything. Dad complained to his father about being unable to go to the Mahani. It took a little bit of time to find out why. When wolves emerge for the first time, they are susceptible to an Alpha command, regardless of rank.

My father and his before him were commanded never to go to the Mahani and never allow them on our land. The command was also added to pass it to the next generation on their first shift. My great-grandfather believed this would create a never-ending cycle to keep the Mahani away.

He was angry that his destined mate was a lower-ranking Mahani with more power than a Blood Alpha. In his anger, he rejected the poor girl and banished all Mahani from ever coming near us again.

That man never thought about how it would affect us as a pack. We could not ask for help when needed and had the unpleasant task of taking the lives of those not following the laws.

The cycle will stop with my father. I've made sure of that. We can feel the shift coming about an hour or two before. Plans are in motion to keep him away from me when I shift. I've also tried to keep him away from others having their first shift too, just in case.

My mother knows what I'm doing and is helping me because of the grief my father goes through each time someone dies because of this banishment or each wolf he has to kill.

I went to see Evan's mother for any information on Amanda. She gave me great news. Amanda will live. She was rejected by a Blood Alpha and then given a command never to tell anyone. He knew it would kill her. He didn't care.

That horrible excuse for a wolf had decided on a Mahani for his chosen mate, but had to resort to kidnapping and rape as the Mahani he chose had a fated mate. He was caught and is awaiting his death.

Amanda will be gone for a while as she heals and gets counseling. We don't have that here. Over the last couple of generations, many wolves have died from the pain and sadness of rejection.

I know it's time to tell Dad. So, with my heart in my throat, I head to the main packhouse. I hope he doesn't go into a rage as I've seen him do that and don't want to be on the receiving end.

His office door was shut, and I knocked lightly in case he was busy. Please let him be busy...

"Come in, Dean."

I'll admit it, I'm scared. While I was so sure at the time that his gratitude for Amanda surviving would outweigh the trickery, I'm not so sure now.

"Are you busy?" I asked.

"No. I'm just waiting on an update."

"Who is bringing the update?" I should keep others away, just in case.

"You are. So, tell me." He looked me in the eye, and I may have peed a little.

"Um, so, um, Amanda was rejected by a Blood Alpha and commanded not to tell anyone. The Blood Alpha attacked a Mahani he wanted as a choice mate. The Council has sentenced him to die." I said very fast. My nervousness increased when I didn't get a response for almost a full minute.

"And how do you know this?" He finally asked.

"Evan snuck her out and to the Mahani," I replied softly.

"Really? He did this alone?" His tone was terrifying.

"I may have told the guards not to stop him." I barely whispered.

My father didn't say anything for a good three minutes. They felt like the longest minutes of my life.

"I still feel her Pack bond. Will she live?" His voice was flat, like he was asking for paperwork. 

"Yes. She won't be returning for a while, though. She was near death."  My hands started to shake and I balled them into fists and demanded my body get itself together. I had made the decision knowingly so after a moment, I added in a voice I didn't feel, "I'll take my punishment, whatever it may be."

My father just stared at me, saying nothing.

Finally, he stood and walked over to me. I was too frightened to move. His hand suddenly wrapped around my throat, cutting off my air. His eyes were glowing with his wolf.

"You will never defy me again!" He shouted.

I clawed at his hand while trying desperately to get air. Right before I passed out, he let go. I fell to the floor, coughing, tears running down my face.

I watched him take a calming breath before he opened his eyes again.

"Go to the infirmary and get checked out since you don't have wolf healing. Afterward, you will report to double physical training every day for the next month."

I nodded, stood, and left his office. That was the first time he had ever laid a hand on me, and I was visibly upset as I ran to the infirmary.

Several things occurred to me while sitting on the hospital bed, getting checked out.

One, when he yelled at me not to defy him again, it was not an Alpha command, even though his wolf was present. While they don't technically work when you don't have a wolf, no one defies an Alpha command, even humans. I thought about that hard.

Two, the people in the infirmary spread the word quickly that my father did this to his son for breaking the rules. No favoritism.

Third, and most importantly, even though I was supposedly the next Blood Alpha, I was punished. They respected my dad for that.

He unknowingly left the door open for me to do this again if necessary. I wonder if he knew what he was doing.

I think he did.

*******

Researching a picture of a human instead of a wolf for Dean felt weird. Since he's the human equivalent of about 17, it took a bit more work to choose. I hope I did him justice.
--April