Chapter 38

AURELIA

I rocked back and forth on my heels as I waited for Zayn to reply. He still held my hand and knowing him, now that I was okay, he wasn't leaving it any time soon.

He let out a deep breath. "Its what mum told you about Gwen." He studied my expressions before questioning. "Isn't it. That's what's bothering you right?"

I frowned. But I kept quite.

Air charged around us with tension and his closeness wreaked havoc in my mind.

My throat bobbed as he started gently circling his thumb over my pulse. I tried pulling away but he didn't let go, causing my frown to deepen further. This gesture was becoming way too common between us lately.

"Listen to me Summer, look at me!"- he failed to hide his annoyance- "You have nothing to worry about. Gwen is gone. And for good. I will never go back to a woman who left me when I needed her the most." He ran his other hand through his hair.

Unfiltered words ran through my mouth. "But you loved her." Something heavy pressed against my lungs as the realization of what I said dawned.

Without missing a beat he countered. "And you loved someone as well." His irises were dark but his voice darker.

Confusion turned into rage in seconds and I tugged at my wrist aggressively. "How dare you?"

His eyes narrowed in on our connected hands. "How dare I? How dare you? How could you assume that I am still in love with my ex and then distance yourself like that?"

Instead of answering I kept struggling with his grip on my hand, trying to make him let go like a child.

When he spoke again his voice was low and calm. "Stop it Aura, I'm not letting you go."

"Then keep hurting me," I yelled.

Words left through gritted teeth. "I'm not trying to hurt you. I'm just trying to make you understand that in real world people don't keep on loving people who hurt them to the point of no return. I'm trying to tell you that I have moved on and so have you." He was stripped down to nothing more than a man with vulnerabilities in front of me and it gutted me to see him like that. My stomach dipped with unease at his lower defenses.

Another deep breath expanded my lungs. "Okay."

"Okay?" He let out a deep and shaky sigh.

"I understand."

"Aura." Zayn's gravelly voice captured my attention, making me look up at his intense blue eyes. But he didn't say anything.

Instead his grip over my wrist loosened and his palms snakes down lower. He eased my fist to open up my palms and traces his fingers through them before intertwining our fingers together.

My chest tightened and my skin tingled where his thumb lazily rubbed against my hand.

"Any love I have made you feel, any care I have shown you...its your to keep. It doesn't belong to anyone else."

My hand stopped the silent protest against his touch after he made that promise. I understood why people hold hands. It was about maintaining contact and transferring unspoken words through a simple touch. It wasn't much about showcasing that you're mine rather a pleading that I want you with me.

I don't know how long I stood there holding Zander Bridgewood's hand.

EXAM week was intimidating with no brain rest. I could barely pull myself together. Not because of the exam itself but the fact that this was my first time writing one in a foreign country. I knew it doesn't make much sense but it was unnerving regardless.