THIRTY-FOUR

sebastian hayes

.  .  .  .  .  .

We're staying at Loïse's childhood home for the upcoming week. I can't lie: there are way better circumstances to meet your girlfriend's mom for the first time. The first time I saw Hellen was when they buried her husband, Loïse's father. 

We didn't talk much then, she was already getting overloaded by guests who came up to tell her how sorry they felt. 

Even now, when the funeral has been a week ago: I can still tell there's a weird vibe hanging above us. Hellen feels obligated or something to constantly apologise to me when she's having a "weak" moment. Like I'd judge her for that or some shit. 

Loïse's slowly getting better. Being here is hurting but healing her at the same time. She's still kind of distant towards me, as if she still thinks that she needs to do everything on her own. I'm trying to show her that I want to help, that it's not something I feel like I have to do because I'm being polite. I fucking love her, how could I just stand here and not want to do anything about it?!

When I wake up in the morning though, I'm kind of nervous for today. It's the 25th of December, Loïse's favorite day of the year. Christmas. I bought something for her aswell as for her mother. 

I told her not to get me anything. Loïse acted like she'd be furious at me if I would get her something without her giving anything back. I lied that I don't want to spend a single dollar on her spoiled ass. 

But here I am, hiding the three things I bought in total. I run downstairs quickly to put something under the tree where there's currently only two gifts. 

I slip into bed next to her again, throwing my arms around her cold body and hugging her tight into me. 

Only a few minutes later, I hear soft noises from besides me. I peek through one eye and see Loïse stirring under the covers, obliviously rubbing herself against me. I suck in a tight breath when my cock stiffens already. 

Not the time, I remind myself. 

But it's been four weeks. 

I don't care, not right now. 

Loïse rubs her eyes open and a sleepy smile appears on her face. 

"Good morning", she whispers, placing kisses all over my face. 

"Good morning baby", I kiss her nose. "Slept well?"

She nods her head in approval and snuggles into my chest. It's really a miracle that we fit in her twin-sized bed. Me not being very small and her being a wild sleeper: how did neither of us end up with a black eye?

"Merry Christmas", she finally says. 

"Merry Christmas", I smile at her. "Ready for your presents?"

I peek through one eye to avoid her reaction. 

"Really?!", she scoffs. "We made a deal to not get each other presents!"

"I don't do deals", I smile. She laughs back at me and raises an eyebrow. 

"Really? So... who was it then who begged me to make a deal with him? I don't remember it all, but I think it was something about me having to play some girlfriend and h-"