FOUR

sebastian hayes

.  .  .  .  .  .

She said no. 

Correction, she said no now. I'm not giving up on this that early. I know I said she was my last choice to ask to be my girlfriend for a couple of weeks but hell, now that I know she sucks at physics, there couldn't possibly be a more perfect opportunity to make this deal. 

So today, I'm kind of stalking her around campus, until she has some free time when I can try to convince her to make this deal with me. Unfortunately, the universe seems to kind of be against me today. When I see her walking out of class, with her two friends, I stalk up to her but before she even gets the chance to notice me, a blonde girl gets in my sight. 

"Sebastian, hey!", Janette squeals. "I didn't think you'd be here today? Don't you have to be at the laboratory right now?"

I frown. Yeah, seems like someone might be stalking my college schedule. 

"Uh, yeah. Apparently. But I skipped it, it's just a physics practicum", I admit. I look over Janette's shoulder at Loïse, who's still talking to a redhead. 

"Just physics?", Janette giggles. "So... you're smart, huh? Do you mind explaining physics to me sometime? I don't really get it..." Janette slowly lets her soft hands slide down my arms. 

"You're a drama major, Janette. You don't even have physics?", I notice, annoyed. God, she's so fucking annoying. I keep looking at Loïse, and she keeps babbling to her friends.  

She's actually not that bad-looking to perfrom as my girlfriend. It's not like I'd get bullied by my friends. At all, actually. 

Janette giggles again. "Oops, guess you noticed I was just trying to find an excuse to be around you. But you don't mind that, Sebastian, right? Don't you feel this chemistry between us? I mean- I do-"

"Janette, it was really nice talking to you", I interrupt as soon as I notice she's starting to talk about her feelings. It's one of the many things I hate. Talking about your fucking feelings. If I need to let my feelings out, I don't go to a damn therapist. I go to the gym and bench some extra pounds. 

But Janette and her feelings, damn, that's a match. 

"Sebastian, you can't just-"

Too bad, I already walked away. To Loïse. 

Who's not fucking standing there anymore. Goddammit. The one moment I'm not looking around for her, she fucking leaves. 

.  .  .  .  .  .

The sun is already starting to set as I'm walking back to my dorm. It's away from campus, in the neighbourhood where people like to address us as "rich jocks". They can call me whatever the fuck they want, I'm not the one who's sleeping in shared dorm houses and rooms. 

I sigh, already regretting my decision to walk back instead of taking my Jeep; it's a 4 km walk. But since I desperately want to get in better shape for hockey, I fucking walk. 

As I cross the street, away from campus, I hear light footsteps behind me and some panting. I turn around to check it's not some weird guy who's ready to stab me in my back. No, it's goddamn Loïse. With a friend of hers, the same redhead she was talking to earlier today. 

"Hey, Loïse!", I shout. She's wearing wireless headphones, so shouting is necessary if I want her to notice me this time. 

She hears me and turns her head. She seems to be relieved when she sees it's me. Her friend, too.