Chapter Six

It had been more than a week since our call and I had heard nothing from Mel. Emma kept me company every evening and Morgan made sure to always give me something sweet to eat whenever I finished a shift.

It was a Thursday afternoon when I was helping Morgan out in the kitchen. We heard the bell above the door ring so I quickly finished putting the flour in the automatic mixer and made my way to the store front, dirty apron and all still on.

"Hello, how can I-" My eyes met hers and I stopped dead in my tracks. It was Alex, her blue eyes that were wide open in surprise were laying on me.

My heart stumbled over a beat. Just because I was so shocked to see her here.

She cleared her throat as she rubbed her neck. I quickly glanced at her outfit, she looked great, objectively speaking. Dark grey dress pants and a white, very revealing crop top. You could tell she wasn't wearing a bra. I gulped. She looked like she was on her way to some club again, ready to pick up some hot chick.

"I'm sorry, I thought you worked in the mornings."

With careful and slow steps I walked a little closer to where she was standing by the counter. "No, it changes from day to day."

"Yeah, apparently." She started turning around. "I just came to buy this pumpkin bread again, but I'll just come back tomorrow then. When are you not working?"

It was really sweet how she tried to avoid meeting me since I hadn't contaced her. She kept to her word and I couldn't help but smile at that. "No, it's ok, Alex."

I started packing up her pumpkin bread and was surprised that she didn't make any small talk. When I looked at her again, she awkwardly stood there.

"That's $5.45, please."

Alex nodded and grabbed her wallet. "I'll pay with card."

Grabbing the card reader, I entered the amount of money and she held her card above it.

Suddenly, Morgan emerged from the kitchen and her eyes opened in surprise at seeing Alex in the store. She shot me a quick wink and the walked around the counter.

"Ohhh, congratulations!" The older woman loudly announced and stepped closer to Alex, who just politely smiled at her, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "You're the 1000th customer this week and you've just won a free coffee!"

I scoffed. That was not a thing we ever did and we certainly didn't count the customers. Also, even if we did, I doubt we would be over 500 now.

Alex shook her head a little and rubbed her neck. "No, thanks, I'm good."

"Ach, are you kidding? Who says no to a free coffee?" She grabbed Alex's shoulders and pushed the woman down into a chair. "Just wait here and Riley over there will fix you a nice cup of coffee up. Milk? Sugar?"

Alex sighed and scrunched up her nose a little. I had to smile at how adorable that looked. "Just black, please."

Morgan clapped her hands and walked around the counter again. "You heard her, dear, one black coffee." As she passed me and had her back turned to Alex she wiggled her eyebrows a little.

After a few minutes I had finished the drink and slowly brought it over, careful not to spill anything. I was very aware of her eyes on me but I chose to not let it affect me.

Then I quickly disappeared into the kitchen.

"What are you doing?" I asked Morgan after the door closed behind me.

Turning towards my riled up self, she chuckled a bit. "I'm helping you out by keeping her in. Now go out and talk to her."

"No, thanks. I'm working."