24

Jo's P.O.V.

"What's Britanny doing up there?" Rachel asked as soon as I joined them in the field.

I followed where her eyes were looking and found Brittany staring back at us with a blank expression.

"She'll watch us practice." I told her adjusting my pony tail.

"Yeah, I can see that. But why?"

We all lined up as our coach instructed, ready to jog and jump. Rachel positioned behind me.

"Well, were umm... we're together now."

I felt Rachel grab my arm, stopping me from following the girl in front of me, Luckily, we were the last two on the lineup.

"Whatt???" She almost screamed.

At the same time, I looked up the bleachers to see Brittany standing up, probably when she saw Rachel grabbing me. Immediately, I removed her grip.

"Thompson, Davis! You're gonna do push-ups if you don't follow!" We heard our coach yell from the front.

"When did that happen?" I could hear the disbelief in Rachel's voice from behind me as I tried to follow the pace of the team.

"It's a long story, Rach. I can't talk about this now." I looked up again to see Brittany now sitting but I could feel that she was watching us like a hawk. 

"Ok, can we talk after practice?" Rachel still insisted.

"No, I can't. Brittany is taking me home."

I heard Rachel mumbling something but I ignored it as I ran towards the girl in front of me as both of us were getting behind and I didn't want to be punished today.

By Brittany.

I tried to avoid Rachel's eyes as I felt like if I made eye contact with her, she would start asking again and I am not ready to answer her yet.

Between breaks, I would go up and check on Brittany. She didn't say anything about Rachel though I feel like she was upset about her.

She was actually sweet. She would take my towelette and wipe my face and my back herself. This gesture earned a stare from my team and even from the others who have training as well.

It didn't seem to bother Brittany, but it does to me. Though I was trying to hide it from her. I'm not used to being the center of the gossip or the talk in school but from here on now, especially on Monday, I am sure everywhere I go in this school, the kids here will talk and whisper.

I'm not ready for that.

But you were ready to be seen half-naked by Brittany?

Damn! I can't believe I've done that, Where did I get the courage to do that?

"So, 2 hours more?" She handed me my towelette as I faced her.

"Actually, 30 minutes more. Coach has something urgent so she'll let us go early." 

Brittany's electric blue eyes lit up.

"Really?" She exclaimed excitedly.

"Yeah." I giggled. Seeing her this happy made me happy as well.

How can I tell her that I was not being honest with her earlier? That I just said those so that I won't give myself any kind of hope that this relationship could go somewhere? 

That I had to tell her those to remind myself that we are from different statuses in life, that she is way above me and there's no way we could ever work.