16

Chapter 16

The first thing I heard was the singing of the birds. I opened my eyes expecting someone beside me but I am all alone in my bed. Last night was probably a dream or worse, he woke up earlier than me. Dammit! I made a mental note to myself last night that I would make it ambiguous for him to not remember anything that happened yesterday. I checked the time from my newly acquired phone and an hour has passed from my usual waking time. I no longer use my alarm clock because I usually wake up before it even rang. Well, except for today.

I screwed up. What was Richard's reaction when he realized he was sleeping on my bed? More importantly, is our hands still clasped when he opened his eyes? I went out of my room and saw Evelyn preparing breakfast.

"I'm sorry Evelyn." I apologized. "I don't know what happened but I slept in."

"No worries. I've got you covered. Besides, Richard instructed me not to disturb you." she replied.

I covered myself with my palm. "Gosh! This is so embarrassing."

"What's embarrassing?" she asked curiously.

I don't think she knows that Richard and I slept on the same bed. Thank goodness if that would be the case. I don't want anyone in the household to start circulating some rumors about it. I smiled and pretended that everything's fine. "I put too much faith on my body clock." was my reply.

I helped with the remaining dishes but for my sanity, I have to investigate further. "Where's Richard?" I asked.

"In his room." Evelyn replied casually. I guess she doesn't have a clue what happened last night.

"I'm here if you're looking for me." Richard chimed in. Perfect timing. I turned around and saw him in his casual attire. White shorts and a blue button down shirt. How in the hell does he appear to be so elegant and stylish even without his corporate attire? And he looks so freshened up too even though he was so wasted yesterday. That's something I can not relate to.

"I'm sorry. We must be running late." I removed my apron. "Let me just change my clothes right away and we'll be on our way. For the meantime, please have your breakfast."

"No need for that." Richard stopped me. "We're not going to the office today. I'll explain it to you during breakfast."

I exchanged glances with the two unsure of what to do but Evelyn beckoned me to accompany Richard to the dining area. I followed him and sat on the chair in front of him with my sleep wear on. I never even had the chance to comb my hair so I used my palms to smoothen out all the hairs that's out of place.

"What's with the outfit?" I finally asked him while Evelyn arranges the meal on the table.

"Daniel wants to talk about an exclusive deal that has something to do with their machines."

Look at that. I'm glad I pushed him last night to socialize with the elites and I'm somewhat proud that he's being proactive with business dealings.

"Wear your casual clothes today. We're doing some outdoor activities later." Richard advised.

We ate without having to say much to each other. I was thinking about what happened last night but Richard seems unfazed as if nothing about it is unusual. Maybe I'm reading too much into it. It's probably a normal thing that guys do that I'm ignorant of since I haven't got any close friends growing up.

Richard looked at me with his eyes furrowed as he puts down his spoon. "What?" he asked me.

"I don't understand." I responded.

"You've been staring at me since we started our meal."

I almost spat out my food from the sudden confrontation. "Am I?" I acted confused.