14| George

It's Sunday so I was over at Kiara's right now. Although, the day didn't really matter. I was always there, all of us were. I was making coffee to wake myself up.

Aly was acting particularly weird today, well at least I thought so. She was pacing around the room with a broom and a mop. But as she came across the couch she suddenly dropped them and started fluffing the cushions. But no one, other than me and Cami, seemed to be bothered by it at all.
"Um, she already - Aly, you already fluffed the cushions," Rach said timidly, biting her lip. 

Aly creepily stared at her for a whole minute silently and then got back to fluffing the cushions.

"What's wrong with her?" I whispered to Kiara.

"She's stress cleaning. Don't worry, it's harmless. She's a little OCD about cleaning."

Aly suddenly blurted out, "Whose little cup ring is that on the table?" Her tone was sharp and accusatory. 

As I started to explain, my words stumbled out awkwardly. "Oh, that would be me," I said, feeling flustered. "I was going to get a coaster, but then I thought I don't need a coaster, I'll just wipe it on my pants. And then I thought I'd get a sticky note..."

But before I could finish my explanation, Aly gave me a death stare. Her eyes bored into me with such intensity that I felt like I was shrinking away. I could tell that she was not in the mood for excuses.

I quickly concluded, "...If you're gonna kill me then just promise me that you'll keep my jeep unscathed," and looked down, feeling fairly intimidated. Aly went back to cleaning the room frantically, as if her life depended on it. I realized that she wasn't cleaning because the room was messy, but because her mind was. Her frenzied activity was a reflection of the turmoil inside her. 

.................................................................

I was at the library searching for a book to assist me with my project, which involved creating a robotic arm that could be controlled by voice.

While browsing the robotics section, I heard a woman. Singing.

 "Ban ke titli dil uda uda uda hai".

I followed the voice and heard her singing the lines, "Chal ke khushboo se juda juda juda hai, Kahin doooor". Her voice had a mysterious quality to it and it felt as if they were trying to convey something important, it had a certain urgency to it.

"Hadse ye kaise unsune se jaise chuke andhero ko, Koi noooor". The whole experience felt quite enchanting. I felt like I was transported to another world.

I spotted Aly sitting on a chair, wearing earphones. To my surprise, she was singing beautifully. Her voice was angelic and ethereal, quite the opposite of when she's yelling at me.

I leaned against the bookshelf close to me and just listened to her mellifluous voice. I could do this all day, just listen to her. I could feel all my worries and tensions alleviating. For the first time in a while, I felt truly relaxed. I sing too, that always seems to calm me down. No one knows that I sing, not even Ryan. All he knows is that I play the guitar. And I prefer it that way.

When she finally finished the song she sat there for a while crossing her arms on the table, keeping her head on them. Something about watching her just be herself was enticing. Her tranquility was contagious. I could watch her do nothing all day and still not get bored. What the fuck is wrong with me?

I shook my head to clear my thoughts and began to look for the book I wanted. When I turned around Aly was gone as well.

I got the book and I started to leave. I walked out the door and heard faint voices coming from the side. I turn, fronting towards the sounds. That same creep from the Fresher's party was back again. He held Aly's arm and tried to grope her. Oh, that unbelievable perv.

After taking a few long strides, I reached in front of them. As I was about to knock that miscreant flat out, I remembered the last time I acted on impulse. I stopped mid-punch. I retreated my fist and closed my eyes in an attempt to compose myself. I sighed and grabbed him by his collar, "If I catch you again assaulting this woman, or any woman for that matter, I swear to God you won't live to see another day. So, scurry off now." I dictated and released him.

I turned to Aly, "You okay?" I gently held her hands.

"Yeah. I appreciate you not letting your anger take over."

"Hey, I learned my lesson," I implied, raising my hands in surrender.

She smiled and then, she grabbed that guy's arm, face-palmed him, and threw him against the wall chest-first. I stared at her with my jaw on the floor. What is happening?

"I learned my lesson," She said smirking at me. "Shouldn't have let this disgusting lowlife go the last time."

"Woooaaahhhh! So you're telling me you could have done that the entire time." My voice was louder than I intended.

She laughed. "Yeah. Hey, should I kick him in the nuts, I wanna kick him in the nuts."

"I concur." I grinned at her like a child awaiting a present.

I was very into the moment when the weasel ruined it by speaking again. His croaky and mawkish voice was enough to set me on edge, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I won't do this again. Please let me go. I swear I won't do this again." 

Aly looked at me questioningly. I shrugged implying that it was her decision, she then let him go. He ran away for dear life, not looking back.

"Man, I cannot figure you out," I mumbled.
She laughed and winked at me.

Her captivating laughter played a symphony in my heart coaxing it to leap with joy. God, my heart.