Chapter 10: Halloween

The pic is Ashley.

~

I'm standing in front of my bookshelf, Black Veil Brides blasting in my earbuds while I'm trying to decide which game to play. I briefly pull my phone from my pocket to check the time. 5:49 P.M. Here I am, riddled with boredom on Halloween, my second favorite day of the year. Usually, I spend it playing horror games and eating a bunch of candy. Dad went out to a party with Audrey and some of his friends from work and he won't be back until tomorrow, leaving me in charge of the house for the night. How exciting.

I turn my focus back to my game shelves. Dead Space, Fatal Frame 2, Resident Evil 4, Haunting Ground, Silent Hill 2, The Last of Us, The Evil Within, Until Dawn...I've played all of these several times, but it's always fun to revisit games, especially since I haven't played a few of these in a while. But the question is...which one do I feel like playing?

My phone starts ringing and cuts off my music, prompting me to let out a loud groan. Who dares to call me and interrupt the sweet, sweet sound of Andy Biersack's voice?

I look down at the screen, seeing that Mika's the one calling me. I put "Goodbye Agony" on pause and answer.

"Nico! Nico! You're never gonna guess what happened today!" She shouts before I can even say "hi". She sounds very excited, wonder what happened?

"What's up?" I mumble into the phone, trying to rub the sleep from my eyes.

"Okay, so my girlfriend's going to some Halloween party, and she invited me to go with her! A lot of people are gonna be there!" She starts squealing like a fangirl who just got tickets to see her favorite band, making me bring the phone away from my ear slightly. Girlfriend? Since when does she have a girlfriend?

"Ah, that's cool. So, tell me about this girl. You can't just drop that kind of information on me and leave out the details." Even though my voice sounds unenthusiastic, mainly because I'm still tired, I genuinely am curious to hear what Mika has to say.

"Well, she's a junior, she's really funny, really sweet, and she's so fucking pretty..." She giggles. She sounds really happy to be talking about this mystery girl.

"A junior, huh? What's her name?" I ask with a yawn.

"You know Ashley Travis?"

I sit up in shock upon hearing that name. Ashley Travis. Of course I know her...well, I know her name. I've never spoken to her, I don't think I've ever even seen her in person, but she's got quite a reputation following her. Obviously not as bad as Ethan's, but I've still heard some nasty things about her.

"Ashley Travis? There's like, a ton of nasty shit going around about her, and you're telling me she's your girlfriend? Mika, are you fucking with me right now?" I cringe at my rudeness. My friend got a girlfriend, I should be happy for her. But Ashley Travis? What the hell's going through her head?!

"Yeah, I kinda thought that's how you'd react. But no, I'm not fucking with you. Trust me, Ash isn't anything like people say she is. She treats me so well, I really couldn't ask for anyone better." I can practically hear the smile in her voice. I'm not entirely convinced, but I relax anyway.

"Alright, if you say so. Anyway, the two of you are going to some costume party. Is there any particular reason you're telling me this?"

"Well, she said I could bring a few friends if I want, so I was thinking...you and Tommy could come?"

She can't be serious, right? Me, the world's biggest introvert, going to a party? The only parties I've ever been to were birthday parties for family. Plus, I don't like large crowds of people, I know I'll probably just end up feeling awkward and out-of-place.