Chapter 2: Saturday

The pic is Tommy.

~

I lay on my bed half-asleep, a Markiplier horror video playing on my laptop. I'm not paying much attention to it, but it's too quiet in my room and I need something to break the silence. Reaching towards my nightstand, I grab my phone to check the time. 1:56 P.M. Ugh. It's Saturday, and here I am, bored out of my mind. Time to think of something to do. My dad had to go out, so I've got the house to myself for a while. I already finished my homework, so that isn't an option. Even if I didn't have it done, it's Saturday and I never do homework on weekends. I look over at the small stand in the corner of my room that holds my TV, PS2, PS3 and PS4. Then I look at my bookshelf, where I have my games all lined up. I've still got several games I never got around to finishing. Hell, there's a few on those shelves that I haven't even started playing. I shut off my laptop and sit up, stretching slightly. My phone dings, informing me that someone sent a text.

It's Tommy. We started talking pretty much immediately after school on Friday. We continued our discussion about music and bands we like, then the topic switched to our favorite video games, which then turned into the two of us geeking out about Tomb Raider because Tommy had mentioned he was replaying Legend. Overall, it was a fun talk. I also found out that we have second, fifth, and eighth period together. I'm not really sure how I didn't notice him earlier, but then again, I haven't really talked to anyone in those classes. I wonder what's up? I open the text and read it.

T: Yo (1:56 P.M.)

N: Yo (1:57 P.M.)

T: U doing anything rn? (1:57 P.M.)

N: Sitting around, debating if I should play a game or take a nap (1:58 P.M.)

T: Always a hard decision (1:59 P.M.)

N: Wbu? (1:59 P.M.)

T: Also sitting around. I just woke up lol (1:59 P.M.)

N: Bro, it's 2, how tf are you just waking up?! (2:00 P.M.)

T: lmao I was up all night watching stuff cause I couldn't fall asleep. Then I got some food, went back to my room and passed out :) (2:01 P.M)

T: ANYWAY, I gotta get out of the house, wanna hang out for a while? (2:02 P.M)

I think about it for a second. Tommy does seem like a sweet guy, and I really do want to get to know him better in person. At the same time, there's that fear in the back of my mind that I'll say something wrong and make myself look like an idiot.

Well, what's the worst that can happen?

N: There's a park not too far from the school, wanna hang there? (2:04 P.M.)

As I wait for his reply, my hands tremble slightly from excitement. Or is that just my anxiety kicking in? Maybe it's a combination of both? I can't tell.

T: Yeah, that works. Meetcha there :) (2:05 P.M.)

I quickly change out of my pajamas into a Smashing Pumpkins shirt and faded blue jeans, and slip on a pair of black and white checkered Vans. I grab my sketchbook and pencils (just in case I end up getting there before him), my phone, key and earbuds, shoving them into my pocket as I rush downstairs, almost tripping and falling face-first onto the floor. Real smooth. Thank god no one's here to see that. I exit the house, locking the door behind me. It's a nice day out today, nowhere near as hot as it was yesterday. I put in my earbuds, tuning out the world as I begin the walk to the park. Paramore starts playing, my nerves relaxing almost instantly...

~

Despite it being a relatively warm Saturday afternoon, the park isn't very crowded. There's only a few families sitting near the playground. I scan the area, looking for Tommy and failing to spot him. "Well, I guess I didn't give him a specific time to meet." I think, taking a seat under the shade of a tree further away from the playground. Guess it's a good thing I brought my drawing stuff. I flip the book open to the zombie girl drawing I've been working on and get to work as "Holiday" by Green Day starts playing in my earbuds. Ah, I love this song, it always brings back memories. Memories of when I was younger and had no worries about the world. But it also brings back memories of...him. This was Danny's favorite song. Well, one of his favorites...