21- silence

I'd never been one to enjoy silence

Because to me silence spoke so much more than words.

Like now, as I was packing up for my try out Nora sat silently on the couch not saying a word.

Like she had all week.

After she found out in the club that I was trying out for the brookies she hadn't spoke to me.

Even when her parents had asked her too.

Told her to tell me about dinner or make sure I knew about an event.

She wouldn't speak to me.

It was weird not hearing her voice every morning or watching a movie with her almost every night.

The weekly hanging out with friends didn't happen this week, and if it did I wasn't invited.

I watched Nora as she continued to look at her phone, chosing to not pay attention to me.

Her wavy brown hair was pulling back into two Dutch braids today and she was wearing an oversized t shirt with a bikini underneath.

To me, the way she was dressing also felt like a punishment, though I knew it was no different from the way she dressed before.

"I'll be back in a couple hours." I stated grabbing my surf bag

Nora said nothing.

I looked at her for a moment awaiting a reply, but surprise, none came.

I left the house and walked down the road to the beach being met by Josh, Kia, and Mr. Brooker as I got there.

"Hello Finn." Mr. Brooker greeted while holding out his hand for me to shake.

When I did, it was firm, almost alittle too firm.

"Hi." Was all I said readjusting my board in my other arm

The nerves were starting to get to me.

With Nora not talking to me, then wondering if I was good enough to be on this team. My anxiety was through the roof.

"Since this is a solo try out I'm going to have you paddle out and surf a heat, give me your best three waves." Brooker explained, "Kia and Josh are just here to help me judge so you'll be all alone out there in the water."

I nodded my head in understanding, walking out into the water alone.

Again, I was met with silence.

Something in my heart told me this wasn't right, trying out for the brookies.

But my mind told me it was the only way to get a sponsorship fast.

I mean it's how Nora got her O'Neil sponsorship.

I mean O'Neil, holy shit. I had to get into brookers to make my name.