Chapter 2

Anthony

Talking to Ophelia

I crossed my legs and tried my best to maintain a straight face, but the excitement of talking face-to-face with Ophelia exhilarated me.

"Why have you called me here? You know I'm a busy man," I said.

Ophelia cleared her throat. "I want to sign a marriage contract with you. I found out some people of mine are plotting to kill me, so I decided to marry you for more power," she said.

I closed my eyes and put my hand over my mouth. I needed composure, but I couldn't help but smile. I ignored the part about power. "You cut to the chase, interesting. I don't see how that affects me and you didn't mention anything that would benefit me."

She went silent for a second. I could sense a battle between her thoughts. "Well, I heard that you need to get married to someone quickly. You could marry me for a year, then it'd all be done," she said.

"That's not important to me." Which was true. The only person I planned on marrying was Ophelia and only her. Yet she came to me with that proposal. Yes, it would be a contract, but during our marriage time, I'll try to make her fall for me.

"I heard the emperor is pushing you to marry the fourth princess of the neighboring kingdom. You don't seem to like her very much. Though it's strange, there were rumors that you two were childhood friends." I saw that she was getting nervous. Biting her lips was so cute. Mentioning the princess, however, was concerning. Does Ophelia really not remember?

"Dismiss them. I have no close relationship with that woman. She's unimportant to me. If that is all, I'll take my leave," I told her. I stood up and headed toward the door.

"Wait! I have something else. Just sit down until I'm done. Maybe one of the things that I have to say might interest you!" I could hear the panic in her voice. I smiled.

I returned my straight face. "Fine. You have thirty minutes."

Ophelia relaxed and sighed. "My family runs a plantation. They also control one of the trade routes used with another kingdom!"

"Those could be a bit useful. However, it would be hard to persuade me with just that." I said, unfazed.

"Alright. I know a secret that you're hiding and I also know the location of what you're looking for," Ophelia said confidently. This intrigued me.

This time, I knew I couldn't hide my smile. "Like what?"

Ophelia smiled as well. "You keep the royal seal buried underground with the late emperor. You hide it because the royal family doesn't want to pass a law all the nobles are pushing for. And the mana stones you're searching for? I know where there's an infinite amount of them. It's also in a secluded place so no one can find them easily."

"Interesting..." I mused. "And how did you get this information?"

I'm not sure if she realized, but Ophelia's smile turned into a smirk. "Now that's my little secret. And your secret is safe with me as long as you sign the contract. I promise after a year, you won't ever see me again."

I laughed at her confidence, admiring it. "What if the information about the mana stones is wrong? And what if you go blabbing about the seal during or after the marriage?"

"I assure you it won't happen. If it does, you can kill me and my most loved ones, and you can take all of our fortunes." When she mentioned killing her, it shook me. That thought had never, and will never, cross my mind.

I played it off and nodded. "I see. I suppose this will be on a document? I have a few conditions though."

"It will be, yes. I'll make the contract, but what are your conditions?" Ophelia asked.