1.9K 75 15

the day that wasn't

✩  °  .  *  .  °  ✩

they arrived at the commission seconds later, just outside. the handler led the boys towards the large building before them.

she spoke only to five, leaving sebastian to stalk behind them. his eyes darted warily from face to face as they passed swarms of workers.

she led them through the commission, explaining different rooms as if they were tourists. she finally stopped at a room full of people clacking away at typewriters.

"stay out here," she ordered sebastian. he shared a look with five, then nodded and leaned against the doorway.

she shower five to his desk and talked to him for another three minutes. eventually, she waltzed back to the hallway.

the handler paused and turned back to the room. "five?"

he sighed and looked up from his file. "yes?"

"may i borrow 'bassy for a moment? you know, suit him up, show him the barracks?" the glint in her eye let them know it wasn't actually a question.

he nodded once, masking his worry with a stoic expression.

"lovely. we'll be back shortly!" she clapped and turned on her heel swiftly. she marched down the hall, sebastian begrudgingly following much slower. "come!" she demanded.

✩  °  .  *  .  °  ✩

the handler brought sebastian to her office, where a guard was posted outside. she nodded to him, and the boy behind her took note of the box that the guard gave her.

they entered the office, and the uniformed man closed the door so fast he felt a rush of air behind him.

"sit, sit," the woman before him said. she set the box down in her desk, and he heard a strange clanking noise.

he tentatively sat in the chair opposite her desk, leg bouncing nervously. she slowly made her way around to his side and sat on the edge of the desk.

"you're aware of course that you've abandoned the commission twice already," she stated. he nodded, not breaking eye contact.

"the board wants me to have you killed," she laughed. "but i convinced them that you're too much of an asset."

he kept his face neutral, though he was confused when she looked at him expectantly.

"is that dirty look any way to thank me for saving your skin again?" she cooed.

he blinked.

"thank me." she ordered him. "thank me for saving your life. now." she leaned forward, and he resisted the urge to recoil in disgust.

she suddenly grabbed the stubs where his horns had been broken and tugged harshly. he winced a bit, but kept his eyes boring into hers.

"thank me."

she pulled harder, yanking his head around. he gritted his teeth, tears welling up.