[32]

Hui Jie's POV:
    I awkwardly combed through Lilith's hair, blood roaring in my ears. I was a bubble. Floating, flying, zipping through the crowds. Joy has a particular flavour to it— liquid gold, like honey champagne. It bubbled through my veins. I felt my limbs go numb.
    "What are we now?" I piped up, "like, what's our relationship?"
    Lilith's grip on me tightened.
    "I don't know..." she frowned.
    I was about to explode because of the awkwardness.
    "Want to give dating a shot?" Lilith asked.
    Wow, that was straightforward. Not a bad idea though.
    "Not officially though, just to try, you know?" she quickly said.
    "Sure."

[2 months later]

    "Why are we here?" Lilith pouted, rolling her eyes.
    It was the full moon. I had driven Lilith to a top of a hill. It was a peaceful spot, where the grass was just the right amount of softness: not too prickly, but not too mushy. The place overlooked a creek, and as the moonlight danced across the water, it shimmered. An old willow tree stood tall, ivy and vines crawling and creeping around its trunk. Everything had a rich, glowy look to it. A perfect spot for picnics and stargazing.
    "I want to stop the free-trial relationship thing we have going on," I replied.
    "What do you mean?" Lilith's tone changed.
    In the moonlight, I could make out the way her face dropped. I grabbed her hands.
    "I want us to start dating for real," I whispered.
    Her eyes widened.
    In a split second, she threw her arms around me, and I felt her lips on mine.
    And at that moment, I never wanted to pull away ever again, to pause a moment so pure and blissful. I deepened the kiss.
    I am the luckiest person in the world.   

[end]