[31]

Lilith's POV:
    I stirred and sat up from the bed, confused. I picked up my phone. 5 a.m. I heard the bathroom door click open, and Hui Jie walked into view. Then, I remembered what happened the night before. I tried getting up but was stabbed with a sharp pain in my head and back.
    "Lay down," Hui Jie forced me back into a sleeping position.
    "No," I replied.
    She slapped a wet towel on my forehead and flopped down on an armchair beside the bed.
    A few seconds passed before I spoke up again, "what happened?"
    "Fainted," she replied, staring at the ground.
    Another moment of silence.
    "I'm still mad at you," I started.
    "I know."
    Hui Jie looked at me for a while, before sighing.
    "I talked to Angeline, she called me just now," she mumbled.
    I stared at her expectantly.
    "She told me about you hitting Xander and Eric after I left the other day," she continued lowly.
    "If you want to apologise, at least do it properly," I said coldly.
    "I'm sorry, okay? I never should've doubted you; I should've listened. I never should've snooped through your phone either," she jabbered, "and... thanks for standing up for me, Lilith."
    I flung the towel away and sat up. Hui Jie sprung up, but before she could push me down again, I threw my arms around her waist.
    My stomach somersaulted repeatedly as I nuzzled her stomach, feeling her warmth. I felt my eyes brim with tears.
    Silence ensued. I felt Hui Jie's heartbeat quicken.
    "I'm sorry. Could you forgive me, Lilith? I'll be better," she pleaded softly, one of her hands slowly combing through my hair, the other resting on my back.
    "Maybe," I replied hastily.
    Gosh, this was awkward.
    "Do you like me back?" I asked, my voice muffled.
    Hui Jie paused for a while. If even possible, her heartbeat accelerated further.
    "I think I do."