39 | Rain

It was rare, and unbearable, when it rained during California summers.

The ocean reached further onto the shore, the seagull's cawing quieted to nothing, the salty air switched with the earthy scent of rain. Mom used to joke that it meant bad news was on its way when the sun was covered by clouds. I suppose it was the writer in her.

Today was a gloomy Tuesday; The gloomiest our town had seen in months. The neighbors couldn't sit on their lawns, Benji couldn't surf, and I couldn't sum up the courage to bear the weather and tend to my garden. In fact, the only person in the state who seemed to be enjoying the rain was Nicolas Young.

"It's almost never sunny in Vermont, you know," he told me as we sat at the kitchen table. "That's the one thing I prefer."

"You prefer it to look gray all the time?"

"It's nice. Never too hot."

I shook my head and cupped the mug in front of me. "I'm terrified of storms."

"This is far from a storm, Ollie."

"It's more than typical summers. I don't think it rained at all last year."

"Well, I say we take advantage of it. Let's go on a walk."

I blinked, looking back at him. "Outside?"

"Obviously."

"In the rain?"

"Yes."

"We don't own umbrellas."

"So, we wear clothes we don't mind getting wet. Easy."

"We could be struck by lightening, or get sick, or the rain could turn into a hurricane and then we'd-"

"Suit yourself, Ollie. I'm going for a walk."

Nico stood up and pulled his sneakers on before slipping out the door, leaving me to watch it shut behind him.

"Jesus," I murmured before following after him- not because I thought his fascination with rain was endearing, but because someone should be there in case he died.

"Well," he grinned as I stepped onto the porch to face him. "Couldn't stay away?"

"Don't flatter yourself, Nico."

He cupped my jaw, leaning in a bit. "Why would I when you already get the job done?" Nico kissed me, briefly, before stepping onto the rain covered grass. "Where to, dear?"

I watched in awe under the awning as he stood beneath the rain like it was a layer of his skin. "Back inside?"

"I told you I was making you live this summer, didn't I?"

"When did you say that?"

"On the ferris wheel."

"That was almost two months ago!"

"Well, I meant it," he grinned, his hair flattening under the weight of water. "Do you wanna choose where we walk, or should I?"

"Maybe you should run over to the dollar store and pick me up an umbrella and-"

"You're scared of the ocean, you're scared of rain. Are you sure you don't melt when you touch water?"

"Very funny," I mumbled. Nico's t-shirt clung onto him as he stuck a hand out toward me.

"I'll choose where we go. Come on." Before I could refuse, he pulled me down and into the water. I toppled over and he followed shortly after, leaving both of us a mess of laughter on the grass. Nico rolled us over so that he was hovering above me and pressed a kiss to my lips.