1 | Nostalgia

WARNING!
This story contains adult language and content, as well as factors that may be triggering to some readers. Please read with caution.

***

On the second day of summer vacation, mom gave me the news.

I was 17.

I was miserable.

I was watching the world spin without me.

Not a single part of me wanted this to happen, and I wasn't afraid to tell her. "We cannot have another person in this house."

She was seated before me in the breakfast nook, hands folded like this was a business transaction. It wasn't. Not even close. This was a last-minute decision between my mom and Nicolas's. She had to think quickly and settled for the choice that least benefited me, per usual. Nicolas would fly in from Vermont this afternoon. He would spend the summer at my house. My entire break was ruined.

"He doesn't have anywhere else to go."

"Can't we book him a hotel room or something?"

"For the whole summer?" I knew it was silly before the words left my mouth. "We can't afford that. Nobody could afford that."

"And we can afford to house another teenage boy for three months?"

Her smile dipped a bit as she looked at me. "Apollo, you should be inviting Nicolas here with open arms. Your friend needs a place to stay-."

"He's not my friend-"

"He was! Falling out of touch doesn't end a friendship."

"We haven't talked in 5 years. I don't even know him anymore."

"Then, get to know him," my mom said and I groaned in response. Her eyes narrowed on me with a sudden seriousness. "No is not an option. You will make that boy feel at home. This is a lot harder on him than it is on you."

"This is ruining everything. I had plans for this summer and now-"

"Just have Nicolas tag along! I'm sure Benji won't mind."

"I mind, mom. This is my last summer of high school and now everything's messed up!"

Mom let out a long sigh and pressed her fingertips to her temple. "It's Nicolas's last summer too, Apollo. I'm sure this isn't what he thought it would be either."

"I know, but-"

"No, kid. You don't know. You have no idea what he's going through. What he's had to go through. You thought it was bad when you guys were 12? Trust me," she said, her face dropping. "Things have been really difficult for him. Can't you please just... Try to be optimistic about all of this?"

I let out a breath through my teeth before nodding. "Okay. Fine," I answered slowly.

My mom gave me a smile and stood up to meet me. "You're a good kid. You know that right?" I nodded as she pressed a kiss to my forehead and ruffled my hair. "Now, clean up the guest room. We're picking him up from the airport in a few hours."

I walked upstairs, taking extra time on each step like if I slowed down enough, I'd never have to come back down. Most of my days were spent here, with my mom, with my garden, with my infinite supply of books. My dad popped in once in a blue moon, but mostly, it was just the two of us. I was happy with it. I was used to it. And now, I was being invaded.

The guest bedroom hadn't been touched in years. It looked like a it was plucked from a dollhouse, with its antique bedframes and collection of framed portraits. The only room in our house that hadn't been cluttered with coffee mugs and books.