27 | Welcome Home

"I guess I'm just a little confused," Nicolas said once the door to my room shut and I fell onto my bed. "I thought you missed your dad?"

I felt like a little kid storming off to my bedroom like that. It was like the child in me came out whenever I saw my dad's face.

"Of course I missed him," I said. "But I'm angry with him, too. I don't know. He does this every few months and I guess it just started to pile up. I'm sorry you had to be there, though."

He furrowed his brows and sat beside me on the bed. "So, it's the traveling that makes you angry?"

"It's everything, I guess," I shrugged and sat up. "He doesn't even know me anymore. He didn't care to call me or stop by almost 5 months. It feels like I've just been forgotten."

"Well, I didn't call you for five years," Nico said, meeting my eyes. "And we got along fine after a day."

"Yeah, well, it's different. And, it's not like we know each other all that well either."

"Of course we do."

I huffed out a breath and stood up, moving to unpack my bag. "No, Nico. We don't. I don't even know your favorite song. And, when you think about it, this doesn't make any sense. You're a hockey player in Vermont. I'm literally across the country from you."

I glanced back at him as he walked to me. "You're right," he said before grabbing my hand. "You don't know my favorite song. It's Like Real People Do by Hozier." I cracked a smile and looked away. "None of that other stuff matters. I'm a hockey player in Vermont, but five years ago I was your best friend in California. And right now, I am positive that I like you. What else matters?"

I drew in a breath as I met his eyes. "I'm positive that I like you too."

"Good," he grinned. "Now, would you stop worrying and kiss me?"

I dropped his hand and pulled the hem of his shirt closer. "Fine," I smiled, and our lips fastened together.

His arms wrapped around me, his fingers trailing down my waist and focusing around the belt loops of my jeans. The space between us thinned with every moment that our lips stayed connected. I drew my hands up to grip his hair and, after a moment, he backed me into the dresser. I slid up, sitting on the surface and tugging Nico in closer as we kissed. His breathing hitched when I allowed my hands to move across his shoulders. He kept a hold on my waist and pushed against me ever so slightly, feeding the electricity between us.

Nico's lips met my jawline, stretching down to my neck as I tilted my head back. I had never felt this type of need before. An unshakable longing to hold someone, to touch them and breath in unison. It was all so quickly intense and it left me dazed.

"What... What are you doing?" I mumbled as his lips fell from my skin.

"Kissing your neck," he replied. "Is that okay?"

I smiled, biting down on my lip a bit. "Yeah."

"I thought so."

Nico continued trailing my collarbones before moving up to kiss me once more. I tightened my hold on him as our mouths moved in sync, only parting to take shaky breaths. After a beat, my fingers began to trace down the buttons of his shirt and, as his lips parted with mine, I blinked.

"We should stop," he said quickly and he met my eyes. "I just... Can we not do anything more than kissing right now?"

I could feel my face turn bright red. More than kissing? Was he thinking-

"I do like you, but I don't want-"

"I wasn't," I said, but the rest of the words caught in my throat. "I wasn't thinking we were going to do that right now."